Windows 7 upgrade retail

vectorsigma32

weird i kind of allready know the answer but i was going to ask on forum any can i install the upgrade without windows on it az i have lost my retail copy on windows vista home premium

Before we attempt to answer. What do you mean by lost your copy?

Was it the install disk or Windows key that you lost?

As long as you have a Vista Key, you can install Windows 7 using upgrade media as a fresh install (also known as Custom Install).

Please keep in mind the Upgrade will be bound to the OS that is upgraded, so you will need to keep the Vista Key with Windows 7 upgrade key. Without a previous Windows key the Windows 7 upgrade key is worthless. Sure you can use the upgrade media to install without a previous Windows key, but that would be cheating the system and technically stealing.

Image Source - Deciphering Windows 7 Upgrades: The Official Chart

windows-upgrade-chart.png

Image Source - Deciphering Windows 7 Upgrades: The Official Chart

I think 7 upgrade full installs.

I'd try it as a full install and see what happens. The worst that can happen is it will say it can't be installed.

If that happens. Reinstall without entering a cd key. Then once Windows is loaded, put the dvd back in and do an upgrade from within Windows. This time enter your cd key. All is well. Thats how Vista worked, and I don't think they changed it in 7.

I can see where this might be confusing to readers.

Upgrade version vs Full version

I should have mentioned, I have installed Windows 7 upgrade several times on a clean partition. I just didn't want to suggest this was acceptable without ownership proof of a previous upgradeable OS (XP or Vista).

I'd try it as a full install and see what happens. The worst that can happen is it will say it can't be installed.

If that happens. Reinstall without entering a cd key. Then once Windows is loaded, put the dvd back in and do an upgrade from within Windows. This time enter your cd key. All is well. Thats how Vista worked, and I don't think they changed it in 7.

You can shortcut that a little too:
http://www.upgradenrepair.com/Instructions/R/registry/regeditwin7registerwin7.htm

Cool. Although they said it may not work, and if it doesn't then do the method I suggested. I haven't reinstalled my Win 7 in years so I don't exactly remember how I did it. I'll come back here for that link if I need to reinstall though :D

Back