Windows 7 won't boot, even in safe mode - aswrvrt.sys

After downloading an avast update
proceeded to restart, after that while starting windows, it would reach the windows logo and blue screen.
repeated that a few times.

After that booted in safe mode....
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with cmd prompt

booting with these causes it to load the windows files, then it gets to aswrvrt.sys
it then pauses for 15 secounds before blue screening again

tried system repair from f8, only shows pointer, does not load at all
tried system repair from disk, lets me select the keyboard input, after that same thing happens as f8

Really don't want to lose any files, been searching everywhere for a fix, help!

thanks

Also tried restoring from last restore point or w.e ...
doesnt work either

I think it's a problem with Avast. If you're able to access the system, uninstall Avast; if not, try a Linux live CD and type the following in a terminal:

$ sudo su
# mkdir /mnt
# mount /dev/sda /mnt
# cd /mnt
# rm Windows/system32/drivers/aswrvrt.sys
# rm -rf "Program Files/Avast!"
# reboot

After reboot, Windows should boot properly.

Anpepc well done bud
Scenario I was running Avast Internet security, the paid for version, on two vista Laptops.One would not connect to the Internet and the other would on shutdown just sit there saying shutting down, the licence had in fact run out It took me a while to renew the licence. The issues started with in days of the Licence running out and even though I had renewed the licence on both machines later the issues remained.
I decided to search online and found your comment To my surprise one of the laptops I was running Linux mint and dual booting between MInt and Vista so I carried out the above in your thread. On the linuxmint vista machine and bingo the shutting issues stopped and the pc is now much quicker again. I love Linux mint and it came to the rescue, loving Linux mint even more Now.

Back