Windows 7 x64 Random BSODs - Minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I got a blue screen earlier on my primary system running Win7 64-bit Ultimate. I have no idea why but I've attached a couple of minidumps that I believe are related or the same, although about 3 weeks apart. If anyone could diagnose the issue that would be very helpful. I can't seem to find the events logged in EV.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Forgot to mention that before the last blue screen appeared the system froze up for a second or two after I put a USB flash drive into one of the front ports. Not sure if that helps but it seemed to be directly connected to that when it happened...

Attachments

• mdump.zip
    55 KB · Views: 1
Both errors are Bug Check 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

In both they cited a Windows OS driver as the cause and these are usually too general to be of much help.

However, in both the PROCESS_NAME section of the dumps noted sched.exe and this belongs to Antivir. This not saying this is your issue but an update might be a good step to take.

hmm... AntiVir is up to date, ran the updater this morning. i was thinking of switching over to the new Avast! Antivirus software later this week though so maybe that will stop the crashing. No idea what the excessive paged pool usage is all about so I'm afraid i'm lost there. i'm waiting for the next ati drivers to be released.

thanks for the info... any other suggestions on on what i could possibly do in order to correct the problem? it's only happened a couple of times and i want to say it's likely to be the graphics drivers. before the last blue screen showed up the video did get a bit distorted for a second or two. looks like updating is going to be a top priority... had problems with catalyst 10.2 (maybe even the same exact bsod) so i can't do that.

First, I love Avast. I have it running on two laptops and a second PC system and it has given great protection. The only thing I would caution is that their new version 5 is experiencing some issues. Check out their forums. However, I have no doubt they'll straighten it out because their product is one of the best.

Second, perhaps rolling back an ATI driver might do the job for now.

Yea I can confirm the BSOD is the same one i encountered when I installed 10.2 drivers (forget the actual driver version). I tried updating before because of some problems running 3D applications and the system actually reverted back to 10.1 after the BSOD. That didn't happen this time (perhaps there was nothing to revert back to) but I'm gonna try updating again once 10.3 is released.

That's sort of a bummer with Avast but I bought the Pro Edition of 5.0 so I kinda want to use it. Maybe I will wait and keep tabs on the forum until they have it straightened out. I've had so much bad luck with computers in the past month I don't need anything else to happen lol. I have 4.8 on two other computers and on a BART CD and it's pretty good.

Oh man, EXCellR8, I hear ya! This past month into this month has been one thing after another between both of my PCs and a laptop. I have lost count of the things I have had to do. Thankfully some of the very best advice I've received has been from TechSpot contributors. Plus I learned some valuable knowledge.

I'll be very interested to know how Avast Pro 5 works for you.

I've been using it for a couple of days now and I'm really impressed. It uses less resources than Avira did and it's optimized for multi-core processors so scans are really fast on my system. The new interface is a bit too flashy imo but looks nice and is a bit more user friendly. It really makes previous versions look dated. I like using the sandbox mode virtual environment to "experiment" with potentially harmful files, it's kind of like putting your hands into one of those sterile atmospherically-sealed box things haha.

I'm having much better luck now though it seems, I was finally able to fix XP last week and I'm running new video drivers than seem to be working well. I also noticed that with Avast! 5 my computer seems to start up slightly faster. I initially didn't want to spend the money on a 2yr license but I have a feeling it will be plenty worth it. Nothing like paying good money for top AV and it failing miserably, but I'm confident the software will do me good.

BSOD Again

ugh, I don't mean to bump this so far but I think I got the same exact BSOD today; while attaching a flash drive again. I've attached the minidump again since I'm using different video drivers and AV software this time around. still no idea what is causing the errors. it's still the same stop code "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" but the md may display different information.

Attachments

• mdump.zip
    27.6 KB · Views: 1
Yep, another 0x3B error and it only cited a Windows driver as the cause which is too general to be of much help.

The Process_Name mentioned the Avast AvastSvc.exe not as the problem but I find it interesting that first it was Avira and now Avast.

Alright well thanks for taking a look at it... you know now that i think about the actual error it might be because the AV is trying to scan the flash drive when I put it in; could be a bug with Windows 7 and not the actual antivirus. It only happens occasionally so that's what's irritating. Perhaps that "windows driver" is just a generic USB driver that is conflicting with the flash drive...

That could very well be. By the way, other than the USB issue how is the latest version of Avast treating you?

I love it, very happy with using it under Windows 7. My only complaint is that there are a lot of separate settings for each scanner so i usually forget which I am trying to configure haha. Not that big of a deal but I feel it could be condensed a bit. The scanners do a good job so I'm not going to nit pick. The new UI is nice to look at; miles ahead of previous versions and is a lot more polished. Overall I haven't had any serious problems with it so I think I will be sticking with it for awhile.

I've temporarily disabled the auto-scan on removable media so we'll see what happens... system gave me a bit of a scare earlier when my mobo refused to post. For a second I thought my PSU bit the dust but I got it back online now. This has just not been my month lol.

Even with the removable media scans disabled I still get the BSOD when I insert a USB flash drive, so I'm out of ideas. I might take the issue up with MS TechNet because I need to be able to use my flash drives on my computer. What really sucks is when I manually restart my computer now, my motherboard refuses to POST and I have to reset the settings in order to get the system back online. All because of a USB flash drive... I don't get it.

i doubt it.. no revisions for my board though other than supporting some newer CPUs. USB drives work fine when I boot XP. not sure why my board has those episodes though. it lights up like a christmas tree with all power rating LEDs illuminating at once and there is no video output from the video cards. i don't have to reset the CMOS when this happens but i do need to cut all power to the board for at least 5 minutes before the system will start up again. so weird. you know i don't have the speaker connected i suppose i could be missing out on some beep codes. if the diagnostics display actually worked maybe i wouldn't have this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back