TechSpot

Windows 8.1 available to pre-order starting at $119

By Shawn Knight
Oct 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is now accepting pre-orders for Windows 8.1. As you may know, the update is free for those already running Windows 8 but if you’re looking to install the update directly from Windows 7 or on an empty hard drive...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,941   +899

I may have to pick this up if Battlefield 4 performance is in fact a lot better on Windows 8 than Windows 7 (when the full game comes out). What has the world come to!
  3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 636   +116

Whats with the price? I thought Windows 8 was considerably cheaper?
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +362

If only. I might actually consider picking it up for less than $50.
    Xclusiveitalian and H3llion like this.
  5. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Booster Posts: 430   +142

Why don't you all just buy a PlayStation 4 if your interesting in nothing more than frames per second...why would you actually go out and buy a tablet operating system to play a console video game? If you can't find better ways to get more performance out of your computer than spending $200 for a crappy tablet operating system you need help. That's half the cost of a PS4.
  6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,064   +38

What is that... a 4chan app in the screenshot? huh... just noticed the little logo
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  7. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Uhm what planet you live on? BF4 is a PC game first ported over to consoles, go see for yourself. The console version looks nothing like the superior PC version. I game at 2560 x 1600 on Windows 7 and it works just fine, don't need some lame 8 messing everything up.
    Xclusiveitalian likes this.
  8. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 632   +123

Does anybody remember the days when a service pack only cost the time it took to install?
    avoidz and Xclusiveitalian like this.
  9. @ lurker101, windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to existing windows 8 users and is a PAID product for new windows OS users.
  10. Start button/menu, Aero?
  11. ikesmasher

Start button, no start menu. The button just goes to the metro start screen.

12. gcarter

gcarter TS Rookie Posts: 43   +13

I have an official copy of windows 8, and aquired the RTM release through "unofficial" channels.
    One thing I will say is that its deffinately more refined than 8.0 - one of the annoyances I had in 8.0 was that in the my networks list, it would see other windows 7 pc's, however selecting the pc name would kick up an error... the only way I could connect to another pc's shared resources was to manually navigate via the pcs ip address.

Windows 8.1 fixed this! :)
    I also quite like the options to have more control over the metro app size. Furthermore, the search function within metro works better, in that for example searching for "control panel" in 8.0 meant you first had to select settings before it would display - in 8.1 it seems to do an app and settings search without having to click an option
  13. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 120   +26

...or maybe you should remember the days when Windows XP retail was replaced with Windows XP SP2 retail boxes?
  14. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

You do know this is a free update, right? This retail box are for those who don't have Windows 8 at all...
  15. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 632   +123

Yeah, I think my error has been pointed out once or twice in this thread now...
  16. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,670   +879

OK, so for a hundred and twenty bucks, does this semi-polished turd give you Media Center, or is that even more money?
  17. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

So I should have checked? Lol. Take it like a man.
  18. ikesmasher

No reason to respond with rudeness. He made an honest mistake and wanted the thread to progress past it.

OT: I fail to see why windows 8.1 means I should buy windows 8 all of a sudden. Microsoft didnt add a start menu, which would have made windows 8 fine in my eyes, for the most part.
  19. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 679   +46

What's the point? $100+ on an OS that doesn nothing my windows 7 can't do, no thanks. Windows your really messing up.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.