Windows 8.1 constantly calling home

By stansfield
Apr 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Using TCPview, I find that explorer.exe maintains two constant https links to wns.windows.com. If I try to delete these links they are immediately restored. Anyone know reason for them and how to get rid of them. I have disabled the store.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

You can always add
    127.0.0.1 wns.windows.com
    to your \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

to make this effective you need to then use
    ipconfig /flushdns
    net stop "dns client"
    net start "dns client"

CAVEAT EMPTOR: I have no idea of other consequences of denying access to wns.windows.com
  3. Mugsy

Mugsy TechSpot Maniac Posts: 424

It appears to be a link to Microsoft's "Push" server for updating the Start page feeds.

The connection persists even if you have no active tiles. Not sure how much bandwidth it siphons.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

Ok, but PUSH services require the user have a process ready to accept the data, in this case, the existing connection to wns.windows.com. If there's no connection, MS can't push (at least using this connection).
  5. stansfield

stansfield Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 39

Jobeard, Thanks will try that. Will also try blocking ip range by other means and also include other explorer.exe intrusions(there's also one called markmanager). After Snowdens revelations I want to know who is accessing my computer especially when I am not even browsing.
    Archean likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.