Windows 8.1 display resolution (default)?

learninmypc

In a nutshell, I shut down my laptop normally last night. I use it to stream my local news to my Panasonic TV via HDMI cord.
This morning I turned my laptop on & my tv turns on by its self so once it started I clicked the Google Chrome icon to start watching, it crashed a couple times so I used firefox instead. I immediately noticed the Start button was missing & thing in general did not look correct. NOT in chronological order, I checked the Display properties, they were at "recommended" which shows 1920 X 1080 but it still did not look correct. It is currently at 1024 X 768 which does show the start button but now there is a black space in the top part of the browser .
I tried changing Picture settings on tv but no change. I also did a system restore to a few days ago but stll
black space top of browser(s). I really don't want to reset it to factory if I can avoid it, but will if needed. :(
I've since uninstalled/reinstalled Google Chrome it works but black space top of browser as in FF.
Open to suggestions

I just checked my other laptop & desktop & they're still showing it normal like my HP laptop was. #Confused

Hmmm, have you tried to power cycle? Set as you want. Turn power off on all. Then power up TV so it is ready to receive signal. Then power up laptop so it can send signal. Then (hopefully) the TV will adjust to the laptop.

Ok, just did as you suggested, everything is some what normal that way, just the black space top of browser is not normal, confused.

Nothing. I'm going to mess with Resolution for a bit & if that don't work, I'll sadly force myself to reset to factory :( :(

No cd/dvd player on it & no flash drives big enough so I’m Screwed in that part. Installing 200 plus ms updates now, happy happy joy joy lol

Didn't know/think about that. Its completed the post #7, got the MS updates installed but Display properties is still messed up & I guess no more 8.1 in MS store so I'm hoping it'll work for a download from MS. If not, stuck on 8.0 :(

OOpppsss, my bad. On the laptop, screen resolution is ok, its on my tv its not right, yet I never messed with either. More confused now,

Well, evidently the file ( 8.1), I downloaded from MS is now installing. It scares me when I don't know what I'm doing , works. :)

8.1 installed successfully, MS updates had been running for hours, stopped,rebooted & restarted 90 minutes ago hope it ends before Christmas :)

Thank you @Cycloid Torus , this thread sadly comes to an end here. Despite numerous attempts googling default display settings for w 8.1, the laptop desktop never returned to the way its supposed to be so I am now resetting it to factory settings. #GRRR :mad::mad:

Last edited:
What happens if you minimize and then maximize browser?
Mystery partially solved, in the Display drop down box, it now shows 2. Panasonic - T V
Resolution 1024 X 768 . Although it still has the black border at top & bottom of browser, laptop has been fully reset to factory & its functional, thanks for your help & input

Ok, that problem is solved, now I'm wondering why WU has been searching for MS updates for 6 plus hours. No problems with last months Patch Tuesday. Since I installed the 8.1 update this last time, WU says Most recent check for updates? Never
Updates were installed , never . Why??

You said "Installing 200 plus ms updates now, happy happy joy joy lol" Don't worry... let it run... move the mouse every 15 minutes to make sure it doesn't sleep (if you forgot to turn sleep off)

You said "Installing 200 plus ms updates now, happy happy joy joy lol" Don't worry... let it run... move the mouse every 15 minutes to make sure it doesn't sleep (if you forgot to turn sleep off)
Ok, that was prior to the 8.1 update. Since I downloaded that update this last time, there has not been any MS updates & I know there are many from past resets. I'm wondering if I installed in incorrect 8.1 update ????

Perhaps you can check update history? I had MS update fail and it took MS a couple of weeks to straighten out a mess that the fail created. It then took an hour for the update to be entered correctly when it finally appeared as available.

It shows 35 currently installed updates. WU has been going since about 10 am yesterday. Unless you suggest otherwise , :( , reset time ?

Back