Windows 8.1 Upgrade Problems

Hello,

I am having trouble with my computer after is applied several updates overnight including the Windows 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade. The specific problem I am having is that I am unable to reach any secure sites with IE or Chrome (as well as outlook and skype). My adobe creative cloud log in keeps telling me that my time is incorrect (though it appears correct to me.) In short, after the update you pushed to my computer last night, I am unable to properly exchange secure certificates with trusted websites and it appears the computer is incorrectly reporting my time.

What is odd is that Firefox will go to secure sites without a problem, it is only IE and Chrome. Unforturnately that isn't helpeful since I need Outlook, Sype, and Adope Creative Cloud to work on my machine.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree that the update to 8.1 can be messy. I thought Windows 8 was fully updated and entered the Windows Store to get Windows 8.1. It's a mammoth download and while this was going on Windows Update started up on another load of downloads involving system restarts. Windows Update should be put on hold until 8.1 finishes installing. The two processes together completely disrupted the 8.1 update which failed. I had lots of problems restarting the 8.1 update process.

I am not sure what you are suggesting I do, I wasn't downloading anything, the system updated my computer automatically overnight. I am now unable to access secure websites (including the windows store). I can not go back to windows 8 and I am pretty much stuck since I need outlook and skype to work

A little more info, I tried refreshing my 8.1 installation and it completes to 95% and then says an error occurred and it can not complete. I am really out of ideas here, anyone have any suggestions?

I'm agreeing that it's not as smooth as it should be to move from 8.0 to 8.1 and you have my sympathies.

Sorting these things out is no fun particularly as navigating the OS is so different from earlier versions of Windows. It sounds like you did manage to move to 8.1 though.

In your position I'd try uninstalling and then reinstalling the problem software. Have you any extra security software operating which might be conflicting with Windows Defender?

Best of luck sorting it out.

I didn't read your posts carefully enough. You mention that you were unable to complete the Windows 8.1 update and that's exactly what happened to me for the reasons I mentioned. Unfortunately, I didn't make notes of how I overcame the difficulty. I do remember needing to locate Control Panel, Computer Management and Services then finding myself hopelessly lost in the unfamiliar layout. That's the area I worked on. Perhaps Windows Update Service was turned off and needed to be reset?

Back