Windows 8 dev tablets selling for thousands on eBay

By Shawn Knight
Sep 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Limited edition Windows 8 tablets are selling for several thousand dollars on eBay. The pre-release hardware was given to Microsoft Build attendees last week at the company’s annual conference in…

Read the whole story
  2. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 675   +39

That actually looks like a nice powerful tablet, but why would anyone throw down more than $300 on a tablet for any reason! I'd rather get a laptop or Desktop! Seriously though, thousands? You can download the Windows 8 preview and install it on a laptop or tablet, and that can be your preview...for free!
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

That's exactly why this is news. It's just mind-boggling, isn't it? I think it should be less about why would people pay such amount, and more about the amount of people who <i>can</i> pay such amount. Of course, it is subliminally suggested that the amount of money that was mentioned being spent here, is more directly linked to their IQ level than in their freedom of spending their own money. But when you are confronted with the fact that you can't really install Windows 8 on just any tablet, you realize a fragment of their reasoning. All of that is then meaningless when you realize that there are actually people--as in, real enthusiasts--that would be willing to spend--apparently, inadvertently--this kind of money for what seems to be, well, just <i>that</i>.

So what I am saying, you say? I guess the economy is not as bad as we thought. :D
  4. Emin3nce

Emin3nce Newcomer, in training Posts: 129

Uhh...

The reason they're paying so much is because it's a dev build of an unreleased OS. This means that businesses and developers can get an insight into the OS, and perhaps an edge on their competitors.

Not everyone is a couch bound who's occupation is to sit on techspot and comment on stories with their out-of-touch opinions.
  5. lawfer

Except the developer build has been freely available to download for days... What are you talking about again?
  6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

ahhh...Windows 8...what XP should have been :p
  7. wow, samsung is the hardware provider for the windows 8 dev build tablet.

i wonder how apple is thinking right now since samsung (formerly) provided component/s for apple's ipad.
  8. Being available for download to test in a virtual environment and seeing the OS behave on the hardware is not the same thing.
  9. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Apples probably thinking, "How can we stop this tablet from being released? Whats the ratio on this tablet? To go against Apple is to go against God, in 'Jobs' we Trust, death to all who oppose his will" extreme and illogical, yes, but they deserved it :)

Back on topic, MS had to have known this was going to happen, not sure why you want to pay that much for a tablet but if you have the money
  10. Wow Samsung makes these for microsoft too? So it's confirmed; Samsung makes ALL the things!
    I love sammy products
  11. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 801   +8

Welp, guess that blew a large, gaping hole in his argument :p You'd think someone who works in sales and technical support would have already known this. Oh, and you should probably make sure your facts are right before you start dissing people :p

12. lawfer

Nobody ever implied otherwise. The fact of the matter is neither reasons justify $2,000+ bids, and that's precisely why this is both incredibly surprising and, well, news.
  13. a lot of people make a lot of money in the US, easy come easy go.
  14. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Hm. Buy some tablets, load up Windows 8 preview, and sell them on eBay. You're probably guaranteed to clear a few thousand dollars off *****s before people catch on.

If anyone actually does this, buy me a copy of Skyrim.
  15. lawfer

Heh, and here I was scratching my head, trying to figure out a way of getting that collector's edition without having to mug somebody...!
  16. lol dude, you just got lawfered.... :D
  17. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Yeah I could understand "accidentally lost" iPad3 or iPhone 5's going at this price but not win8 tablets
  18. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,286   +398 Staff Member

haha I was thinking the same thing, I have a few with Win8 installed that I would happily let go of for $2700+ :)
  19. No. Never underestimate human stupidity and vanity. There are more than enough clueless i d i o t s with cash to spare out there to buy these things.
  20. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

This world has *****s...So what's new?
  21. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

I think some PC mag's might be buying these. Remember how much the "Lost" iphone 4 sold to a tech news website, was it like 2k? Just a thought, it would definitely make a good headline. "Windows 8 tablets gutted, we have em, they don't!"
  22. Seems like a lots of companies are focusing on tablets, intel microsoft etc. it's all good ,but not for the enthusiasts

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.