Windows 8 doesn't boot without USB in (Windows To Go)

Blekk

Hello,

I've had quite a few problems with Windows 8 since I installed it. After a few times where it has said it is corrupted and I've used a Windows 8 recovery USB (and many hours) to finally get back at my files so I could transfer them and then do a fresh install of Windows 8, I am now bored of this procedure which has occurred about 3 times in 2 months.

I am assuming it is a problem with Windows 8 rather than my SSD only because nothing else ever seems to be corrupted except for winload.exe. When this problem occurs, I get a start-up BSOD saying that my operating system cannot load because winload.exe is corrupted. After going through the USB recovery process the most recent time, I managed to Automatically Repair and get straight back into Windows 8 pretty fast (compared to the other times it has happened), but I think that is because it has created a Windows To Go USB.

Basically, if I take the USB out, the OS freezes until I put it back in and when I do that it gives me a message telling me not to take it out until I restart. I assume when I restart it will be attempting to rebuild the startup files such as winload.exe from the USB stick. Over the last few days I've been using it without the USB but then this morning, Windows 8 froze up, I had to hard reset and then needed the USB stick again.

Has anyone else had the problem of winload.exe dying every few weeks? And if so, how do I solve the problem?

I thought that it might be something to do with Windows thinking I want to run this as Windows To Go and therefore when it made the USB stick a Windows To Go USB Stick it hasn't even attempted to repair the Windows 8 on the SSD. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Blekk

Small update: I just managed to boot into Windows 8 without the USB in but when it loaded up it said "Do not take the USB out or your Windows To Go Workspace may crash and lose data" but everything still seems to be working...

If I go to the Windows Store (Metro app) it says "Store is not available on Windows To Go" (This is the test I have been performing to see if I'm in Windows To Go or not. So I seem to be in some sort of limbo between "real" win8 and Windows To Go as it thinks it is in WTG but the USB isn't plugged in...

Any ideas how I can make this not "Windows To Go" and get my Metro Store back?

Thanks for your time,

Blekk

Looks like you're booting from the USB stick and not your SSD. Make sure it's plugged in correctly, and enter your BIOS. Set the boot order to have the SSD first.

Let us know if you don't know how to do this.

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks Asok Asus, I'll try what's said on that page next time I boot.

St1ckM4n I am definitely just booting from the SSD now, I don't physically have the USB drive the last few times I've booted but as I said it still says "Can't use Store in Windows To Go mode" even though I'm booting on the SSD.

Hopefully, trying what Asok Asus said will help a bit but I'll report back soon.

Thanks again,

Blekk

Nope! :D

I just had the same thing where the PC locks up and I had to use the recovery USB to rebuild the boot partition.

When it loaded it up it gave me the W2G warning:

Leave the USB pluggin in. Please leave in until you restart or shut down or the computer will freeze up and scare you.

I proceeded to restart. I took the USB out after restart and it still worked. I restarted again to make sure it wasn't booting from the USB and it all works again fine!...EXCEPT if I go to the metro app Store I get:

Cannot use store on a Windows To Go Workspace

Exactly as I had before...

*sigh*

I wonder if I'll ever get my laptop back :(

Thanks for the help so far,

Any further help would be great!

Blekk

Back