Windows 8 "Hybrid Boot" feature uncovered

Neowin

We've seen a steady flow of Windows 8 news this past month, and it's not ready to stop yet. Earlier this week an old build of Windows 8 was leaked online, and many flocked to download the bits. Today, a site uncovered a feature that appears to replace the operating system's default shutdown behavior so that the boot up process can be speed up.

Windows 8 Italia discovered the feature which appears to use advanced hibernation functionality when the computer is shut down (instead of actually shutting it down) and allows the machine to start up faster. The article on Windows 8 Italia is a troubleshooting reference for a problem apparently caused by the new feature when two operating systems are installed.

The feature can be found by typing "power button" into the start menu, and then clicking "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Microsoft is expected to launch Windows 8 in 2012 with the current rumored retail availability for January 2013. The word on the street also is that there may be a beta as soon as this fall.

- This article was brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

So in order to get your computer to boot up a few seconds faster, your computer won't actually shut down?

I think I'll stick to "classic shutdown".

I think I'll stick to actual details and reviews of this feature instead of forming an opinion based on speculations.

nuovo sistema di ibernazione...not sure what it is, but I like the sound of it. makes it sound so mysterious and full of hidden promise.

The translation of the comments by Google is pretty funny. "No crap! BSOD anyway!"

Not to big of an issue with my desktop since it never gets shut down, and when I do its usually to fix something so I want a COMPLETE shut down. If its on a laptop and you shut it down you kinda want it shut down and not sucking up battery life.

What would be the difference between windows 7 hibernation and windows 8 'advanced' hibernation. It sound like it does the same thing.

Sounds more like a half shutdown...

It must be for those people who can't decide whether to go for standby or a full shutdown :rolleyes:

First thoughts? It's hibernation freshly polished. Guess we'll see if it's actually even worth considering when we get more info.

If it keeps an active internet connection and not disconnect all of my applications then I will consider it worth while, if not then I don't care.

In hibernation your computer does not stay on, it transfers all used ram to hard drive and then shut down completely. When powered back on transfers back what was on the hard drive to the memory and that is it. Taken from Microsoft:

"Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player?the computer immediately stops what it?s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate?it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers."

Microsoft needs to get real an really think this one out. Otherwise just going to be another player in the ball park with this next OS. To me just looks like Windows 7 with some object oriented changes. When is the true voice interaction suppose to start? Still can't get it right. Windows 98 Voice and now it's Windows 7 going on Windows 8.

By now I should walk up to my PC and say "ACER POWER ON!" Sub-command Check all systems processes, clean and def-rag then open email and read the high priority ones now!

Maybe on day.. I can do that on my Windows Tablet in that not to far off day in the future of Microsoft!

This is great.

Hibernation updates = better reason to upgrade.
Anyone wanna LOL with me?

Anyway, too bad MS won't even get to ship it.
I heard that Jesus is coming back before 2012, which is when this comes out...

Sorry, MS. LOL!

nuovo sistema di ibernazione...not sure what it is, but I like the sound of it. makes it sound so mysterious and full of hidden promise
""New System of Hibernation" is what's written. It's not Spanish or French, so that leaves Portuguese or Italian. (Well, there's the very remote possibility it's Romanian). (The spellings of "new", (nuovo), and the preposition "of", (di), are the giveaways).

As to the rest of it, the "mystery" and whatnot, It sounds like the same phenomenon as using a foreign accent to pick up girls.

Oh, and if you want to huckster something, grab a true Brit to do the talking. Americans perceive a British accent as being, "credible".

Anyway, I push the "sleep" button on the keyboard, and my computer suspends. Then I push the power button, and it resumes. I'm basically too ignorant to believe I need a better system. I'll wait til Windows 10 to upgrade my OS. In the meantime I'm going to rehearse, "Rock a Bye Baby", just in case the new OS requires you to sing it a lullaby, in order to get it to sleep.

In the meantime y'all, baby your equipment, and it'll baby you back.

Back