Windows 8 Mail app gains desperately needed features, breaks Google Calendar support

By Rick
Mar 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. As promised, Windows 8 and Windows RT's native productivity apps have finally received some update love. Although severely spartan in both design and features, Mail, Calendar and People now boast a number of new tricks which aim to make your...

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow, Microsoft is becoming like Apple. I like it! Anti-Google age I guess.
  3. Just installed. Can't wait for Windows Blue for more general improvements.
  4. Ravik

Ravik TS Rookie Posts: 44   +8

I agree with RH00D. I'm giving Windows 8 plenty of time to work the bugs out before I make the transition. I wasn't about to get Vista-whipped again!

That said, I think Windows 8 has an AMAZING amount of potential...but this is completely dependent upon Microsoft working double-time to create an environment that caters to both mobile users and workplace users. I need my desktop when in the office. I don't need my desktop when I'm on the go. It's as simple as that.

5. rculver9056

rculver9056 TS Rookie Posts: 26   +7

JC713: The article DID say "While Google's decision to jettison support for Exchange ActiveSync is indeed the primary issue" - How is this Microsoft's fault, exactly?
    And it is Microsoft trying to find a solution as well...
    m4a4 likes this.
  6. I can definitely understand why they have done this with EAS being unsupported by Google.

The big problem I really have with this is that Google are only removing support for new connections. For all users who have existing connections through EAS Microsoft have effectively rendered their g-mail calendars useless.

Microsoft should have just added support for CalDAV as this would have really pi***d Goggle off but I guess this wouldn't have happened.