TechSpot

Windows 8 PC or Mac mini combo?

1. Hi guys,
    This is my first thread.
    All of us know that windows 8 will be launched next october. I always used windows since the win98 version.
    The windows 8 tablets are going to explode on the whole world very soon also.
    I'm really interested in to give OSX a chance this time, but at the same hand, my whole life is attached to the windows universe.
    Do you guys think a MAC MINI with a IPAD 2 would be a nice combo to help a newbie in OSX and it would help me against the WINDOWS 8 DESKTOPS and SURFACE TABLETS?
    Answer thinking in the usability of the common user, interactions between both devices, etc
    P.S: My mother didn't have money to pay me english lessons. I'm Brazilian, im failed and that's all I have for the moment.
    Thanks for the help!

2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

The Mac Mini is meant to be used as a HTPC so you can't really compare that against Windows desktops. It's excellent considering its size and is priced quite reasonably for an Apple product. If you're actually looking for a desktop and don't care about size then you'll get a lot more for your money by building your own PC.

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,626   +320

I have both (actually my Win 8 machine is running the CP). But I'm a bit unclear on what you are wanting to do with it? Like slh28 said, you can build a Windows desktop with far better performance than a Mini, but you can't legally run OS X on it, and it is going to be a lot bigger physically.

The Mini will also be capable of running Windows 8, or 7 or XP so if it turns out you hate OS X but still like the form factor of the Mini at least it isn't a total loss.

If you update us with what you plan on doing with it, then we can advise further.

4. Bruno M. Villar

Bruno M. Villar TS Member Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply guys!
    What I really would like to know is if "managing" my life with apple devices would be better instead using a combination of surface tablet, a windows 8 based pc and a windows 8 phone. Each device comunicating one each other. I know that on macosx we have the calendar app, the contacts app, the airplay thing and if I get a mac mini, it will "talk" equal with my actual ipad2, isnt'it?
    I could be years ahead in security and I'll have the correct conectivity between the devices.
    The question is: "what will be the best combination of devices to manage our lifes next years?"
    - A mac mini, an ipad 2 or 3 and an iphone 5, or:
    - A surface tablet, a windows 8 desktop pc and a windows phone 8
    What will be the best in terms of connectivity, sharing informations and managing info?
    See ya!

5. arunrama

arunrama TS Rookie

I'm in the same boat as Bruno M--. This isn't about cost. I realize that apple products come at a preimum. I'm just frastrated with all the Windows issues I've experienced over the years. I too want the Mac to help integrate my personal life.

Bruno - I've got a KVM and a 27 inch monitor I'm using for my home PC, hm laptop, work laptop, and I plan on adding a mac mini to this. I assume it should be pretty easy. I've got an IPAD2 (64M), Ipod touch 4th Gen (wifes old device-16M), Ipod touch5th gen (64M wife's new device) and I'm considering buying the mac mini (FYI- I looked on crucial.com and I can upgrade to 16M of ram for like $50-70 so don't do the memory upgrade wtih apple) and possibly an apply tv so that I can easily share photos/web sites when friends come over. It's a lot easier than huddling around a IPAD. Also for photos (I am planning on paying for the extra 40M of space in Icloud so my wife an I can store all family pics in the cloud, then technially we are no longer tethered to our PC).

I personally think goign with a MAC setup is the way to go. That way you can also get a basic understanding of both OS.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I'm sure it's possible after thanksgiving I am planning on heading into an apple store to discuss and possibly make my purchase. Travelling to MI this week for Thanksgiving so maybe I should do it now. I'm sure the lines will be a lot smaller if I go to the store before black Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.