TechSpot

Windows 8 Temperatures

By Starsky303
Jun 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

Just installed Windows 8 as I'm passing my Windows 7 onto my stepson. Yes, Windows 8 is a bit of a pain in the *** as I've spent the morning trying to get used to it. Finally at a point to say to myself "yeah, ok, I'm happy with this."
    - then I check my temps using Speedfan and they're all way higher than Windows 7. Dual monitor setup:
    Windows 7 idle temp = 50-55°C
    Windows 8 idle temp = 79°C!!

What the hell is going on? Can someone please shed some light on this. I've noticed it's a common problem. I knew Windows 8 was a mess but this is ridiculous! Can feel myself going back to Windows 7 - stepson will have to stick to Vista!

Cheers,

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

For some odd reason, people hover toward Speedfan for temperature monitoring, but it is very inaccurate. Use RealTemp instead and tell me the results.

3. stonarda

stonarda TS Enthusiast Posts: 180   +17

Try using core temp - its what I use! :) My CPU isa around 35 degree at the moment (idling) :)

4. stonarda

*I have a huge amount of colling hardware and my PC has just been switched on...

5. JC713

35C is cool. If temperatures continue to become an issue, reapply your CPUs thermal paste.

6. stonarda

It is I guess.. :) Though I have invested ina lot of cooling equipment! Im not too trustworthy with just a few fans! :)

7. JC713

Haha. Best of luck man.

8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Enthusiast Posts: 319   +83

Using mobo bios (Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z, i72600k no overclock, but aftermarket cpu cooler (air)
    Cpu: 29 degrees C
    Mobo: 28 degrees C
    Cpu socket: 31 degrees C
    Room temperature 23 degrees C
    computer on and used for 6+ hours.

Win 8 Pro w/Media Centre

9. auggipaulo

auggipaulo TS Rookie

I am a Windows 8 user too and I am experiencing the same problem. I can even feel and hear my fan whenever it is doing its best to cool down my laptop's system. I think it wont depend if you have low or high specs, base on my experience it is because of the programs that are running in your computer, like how much the RAM will allocate for a particular program or application.

*not much of an info its just my opinion and base on my experience * :)
    nice day ahead!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.