Windows 8 to integrate mobile broadband, simplify wireless connections

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Windows 8 will make it easier for users to manage Wi-Fi and mobile connections. Group program manager on Microsoft’s devices and networking team Billy Anders has published a post on the company’s Building Windows 8 blog that outlines steps taken to improve the wireless connectivity experience.

In Windows 8, mobile broadband is being integrated alongside traditional Wi-Fi for a full wireless experience. This was included in Windows 7 as well but there were several hurdles that had to be overcome before connecting through a mobile device such as third-party drivers and software. To eliminate this roadblock, Microsoft worked with mobile broadband hardware partners to develop a universal driver that will work with all mobile devices and eliminate the need for additional drivers or software.

windows microsoft broadband windows 8 mobile broadband wireless mobile networks

windows microsoft broadband windows 8 mobile broadband wireless mobile networks

Microsoft has also developed a new networks settings menu that allows you to turn off individual radios (Bluetooth, mobile broadband, Wi-Fi) or disable them all at once with the new airplane mode. This native radio management is said to eliminate conflicts and confusion that is often introduced when third-party manufacturers add their own connection software.

Much like today’s smartphones, Microsoft’s connection manager will attempt to give priority to trusted Wi-Fi devices when you are within range, only defaulting to mobile broadband should you not have Wi-Fi available. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, the application will disconnect you from your mobile broadband connection and even attempt to power down the device, thus saving battery life.

To avoid “bill shock” – that is, receiving an outrageously high bill from your mobile provider for excessive data consumption, Windows will delay Windows Updates until you have connected through a non-metered outlet like Wi-Fi. The system will also attempt to connect you to popular Wi-Fi hotspots using WISPr, EAP-SIM / AKA / AKA Prime and EAP-TTLS authentication types. The new connection manager can even display estimated data usage and suggest ways to reduce mobile data consumption.

Permalink to story.

Awesome! I hate the software that comes on the dongles alot of the time, it either crashes for no reason or just takes control of all wireless connections to your computer.

Glad to see Microsoft are making an effort in this area.

can they donate some money to my banana republic dictator so I can get rid of this slow *** 384 connection ?

not sure if my drivers are unique or not, but after installing my wireless on windows 7 desktop machine, connecting to wireless only takes about 3 secs... it scans and finds signal almost immediately, i click it and say join and in about 1-2 secs its connected.

I assume the speed increase is connecting to mobile 3G connections . . .

Back