Windows 98 to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pc that has Windows 98 Second Addition.
I wish to upgrade to XP windows pro.
Can I load XP over the top of windows 98 and still retain all my programs and files.Can you see any problems with this.
If not how do I go about doing this and still retain all my information.
Gregrae

Yep, you can do it. Its not generally recommended, since its a pretty big change system wise (9x/DOS based to NT based).

I'd back up your stuff, then go for it.

Actually some programs may in fact not work :(
ie Some 16Bit old 98 Programs could cause issues on XP

I would highly recommend backing up all your data (not the programs themselves)
And then installing XP on a clean drive.

And if you enjoyed your previous programs (existing on 98) then download or purchase the new versions, to work with XP

Here's how to install XP nice and clean (ie after backing up first)

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

I thought you'd have to reformat, but I've never actually tried it. For that matter, could you go directly from 95 to 2000/XP? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'd like to know :haha:

Well I just replied as you were replying. Advising Not to do this
But pretty sure you cannot upgrade 95 to XP ;)

yea srry bout that, thx tho... not like a machine running 95 would run XP very well anyways

A PC still running Windows 98 is generally not hardware wise capable of accomodating XP. It is possible to install XP over Windows 98 and still keep most of your files yes, but it is not advisable if your hardware is old. XP will not run as smoothly as 98 does and you'll end up being more irritated than anything whilst using the computer. If you are going to upgrade to XP, I would suggest you install some new RAM as well if you don't have enough. Post your system specs on here so we can identify whether you'd be able to make the switch without any sluggishness.

Spyder_1386 :)

With that much RAM I would not suggest the move from 98 to XP. You'll need to get that up to 1GB if you want it to run smoothly.

Spyder_1386 :)

I tried to change over to XP from 98 and the xp will not read some of the files thank you for your support but I will have to keep the files on 98 and have a duel boot setup using xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back