Windows Activation Blocking Login on Win XP and Vista PCs

I run a number of older computers for testing/support purposes and just experienced a system running Win XP SP3 a legitimate copy that has been working since I purchased the HW/SW in 2007 requiring Windows to be reactivated.

The internet reactivation option that comes up fails to connect to Microsoft's activation server and with all the Windows support scams going on I'm reluctant to call the 888 area code number shown, which could be in Nigeria at $80 a minute.

The login to Safe mode is also blocked and the emergency recovery CD doesn't work.

The local repair shop told me they've run into over 20 systems running Vista where the owner's Windows login has been similarly blocked. According to the manager, calls to Microsoft result in tough luck this "product is no longer supported."

Windows XP has changed since Microsoft cut off support and the system hardware hasn't changed in 10 years so that couldn't have triggered reactivation.
I run a number of older computers for testing/support purposes and just experienced a system running Win XP SP3 a legitimate copy that has been working since I purchased the HW/SW in 2007 requiring Windows to be reactivated.

The internet reactivation option that comes up fails to connect to Microsoft's activation server and with all the Windows support scams going on I'm reluctant to call the 888 area code number shown.

the login to Safe mode is also blocked and the emergency recovery CD doesn't work.

The local repair shop told me they've run into over 20 systems running Vista where the owners Windows login has been blocked. According to the manager, calls to Microsoft result in tough luck this "product is no longer supported."

The XP system had automatic updates turned off, but it appears a fix for one of the variants of WannaCry Trojan was somehow installed and this presumably was the start of the problem. As the system is infrequently used the 30-day grace period for reactivation must have been counting down while the system was powered off. When it was turned back on it was into activate or else with the or else being blocking logging into Windows.

I've tried various Windows rescue CDs with no luck and would welcome any help or suggestions. I'd also like to hear of anyone else encountering this type of problem in 2019 because my guess is this may be an intentional effort to squeeze people off of older Windows versions.

Thanks in advance.
The XP system had automatic updates turned off, but it appears a fix for one of the variants of WannaCry Trojan was somehow installed and this presumably was the start of the problem. As the system is infrequently used the 30-day grace period for reactivation must have been counting down while the system was powered off. When it was turned back on it was into activate or else with the or else being blocking logging into Windows. The catch-22 is their appears no way to validate your Product Key.

I've tried various Windows rescue CDs with no luck and would welcome any help or suggestions. I'd also like to hear of anyone else encountering this type of problem in 2019 because my guess is this may be an intentional effort to squeeze people off of older Windows versions.

Thanks in advance.

Windows XP has changed since Microsoft cut off support and the system hardware hasn't changed in 10 years so that couldn't have triggered reactivation.
that's exactly how to deactivate back level systems -- you're up a creek w/o a paddle imo.

Windows XP Service Pack 3, could be used and not considered stolen, if it is SP3, I see written. An activation
window keeps coming up and you see as well that there may not be a Microsoft Windows website to purchase the activation key from anymore.

Is there a master key number, that is available to use to activate these old versions of Windows XP ? I have been
downloading "oldapps" versions of Mozilla Firefox, Opera browser, and a few others. AdwCleaner.exe old versions, still works and also old versions of Malwarebytes. Old versions of Avast anti virus also.

I burnt out my processor some how and had to replace the Pentium4. I wonder if the not activated Windows XP software had anything to do with making my system churn and over use the CPU.

Back