TechSpot

Windows Activation problem, Windows 7 suddenly not genuine?

By generalelektric
Jun 2, 2010
  1. I have had been windows 7 running for about 1 year now and all of the sudden Microsoft said that it was not genuine. Somebody please help me.

2. tuant

tuant TS Booster Posts: 201

Only you know the answer to that.
    Enter the product key if its asking for it.

3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Well considering the retail copy only came out in Oct last year you're probably still running an RTM version (if that's even possible).

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,392   +106

When Windows 7 gets updates there is a very small update file that gets installed. This file will check to see if you have a genuine copy or pirate copy? There is also one for MS Office 2007 does the same thing checks for genuine copy also.

5. pw2much

pw2much TS Enthusiast Posts: 84

I am having the same or simular situation with my install,and I pre-ordered my upgrde through Tigerdirect .com and recently Ive been getting errors saying that my produvt ID is expired,but fisrt it was saying that itwas not valid so I got support to activate it now it's saying that the Product ID is expired when I go to sign into support for windows 7 Support site.Any suggestions?

6. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 413

Time

When did you get this version of Windows 7?

7. pw2much

pw2much TS Enthusiast Posts: 84

In October when the OS fist came out I preordered my copy from Tigerdirect.com.

8. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 413

Licensed?

Is Tigerdirect licensed to sell Windows by Microsoft? If not, it is very possible you bought a pirated copy. EDIT: Just checked and TigerDirect nor Systemax is an authorized Microsoft distributor.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.