"Windows Blue" clues hidden in Microsoft job postings

Rick

Staff

Not much is known about Microsoft's upcoming "Windows Blue", but if a couple of recent job postings are any indication, the secretive project will introduce user interface and experience "improvements", particularly in relation to the Windows Start Screen, windowing and customization features.

Based on the most recent information available, Windows Blue should be more akin to a service pack than a full-fledged successor to Windows (I.e. *not* Windows 9), but will encompass more products than just its desktop OS. The project is believed to be the precursor to more rapid and incremental Windows-family update schedule, possibly even setting the stage for a future subscription model. 

Windows Blue is expected to bring numerous tweaks and improvements to various aspects Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Phone 8 and Windows 2012 Server. Additionally, the update is rumored to introduce changes to Microsoft's peripheral services, such as SkyDrive and Outlook.com.

The February 15 job posting for a software engineer was found here, although it was recently taken down -- presumably Microsoft either filled the position or didn't like the attention. According to ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley, the posting read:

We're looking for an excellent, experienced SDET to join the Core Experience team in Windows Sustained Engineering (WinSE). The Core Experience features are the centerpiece of the new Windows UI, representing most of what customers touch and see in the OS, including: the start screen; application lifecycle; windowing; and personalization. Windows Blue promises to build and improve upon these aspects of the OS, enhancing ease of use and the overall user experience on devices and PCs worldwide."

Although that particular position has since been removed, another interesting "Windows Blue" job offering cropped up: a development lead for Excel MX. In the job post, Excel MX is billed as a "high quality Excel app for Windows Phone Blue".

Rumors suggest Blue's launch could happen as soon as this year, with all platform releases occurring around the same time.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft better be doing what I think they are doing and catering just a bit more to traditional desktop users. Otherwise, it's Windows 7 or a different flavor of Linux to the death for me. I will not embrace their dumbed down tablet OS ever.

And if you guys at Microsoft don't want traditional desktop users as part of your customer base...that's fine. But the line in the sand has been drawn. Hoping that I will eventually go to the other side just isn't gonna happen. There better major radical changes to the gay, dumbed down tablet interface you have shoveled down traditional desktop users throats or it was, still is, and will always be, no sale.

If they are gonna upgrade Windows phone and windows at the same time that must imply tiles... I am moving to Linux or OSX if this is true.

Live Tiles on Windows Phone 8 are FANTASTIC. I gave my iPhone to mum to 'play' with.

New life for Nokia, MS and Me!

Oh noes, look guys, the Windows 8 bashing for the lack of a Start Button has not yielded any result! The next Windows not only does not get rid of Metro, it improves upon it! Noooooo!

/s

Live Tiles on Windows Phone 8 are FANTASTIC. I gave my iPhone to mum to 'play' with.

New life for Nokia, MS and Me!

No they're not. They are beautiful looking, but the novelty wears off pretty fast. Especially considering there's only so many apps you will definitely want to use Live Tiles with.

But hey, that's my opinion. And I can live with yours. Just giving my 2 cents. (I own a 920 as a work phone, FYI.)

I dont really want to pay $2.99 for an app on Windows when it is either free or $0.99 on iOS. That irks me. I can easily add a start menu. I don't mind the tiles, it is just that I hate the charm bar and crap.

I dont really want to pay $2.99 for an app on Windows when it is either free or $0.99 on iOS. That irks me. I can easily add a start menu. I don't mind the tiles, it is just that I hate the charm bar and crap.

You can virtually remove everything Metro with StartIsBack, including the charms bar.

I particularly hated the hot corners, and thank god I found that program and got rid of them.

You can virtually remove everything Metro with StartIsBack, including the charms bar.

I particularly hated the hot corners, and thank god I found that program and got rid of them.
Hmm I may think of upgrading then.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:
"I dont really want to pay $2.99 for an app on Windows when it is either free or $0.99 on iOS. That irks me. I can easily add a start menu. I don't mind the tiles, it is just that I hate the charm bar and crap."

LMAO. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea now that you have opened my eyes. I think I'll go ahead and upgrade to Windows 8, and then do everything in my power to make it look and behave like Windows 7 all because....IT BOOTS FASTER. LOL.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:
"I dont really want to pay $2.99 for an app on Windows when it is either free or $0.99 on iOS. That irks me. I can easily add a start menu. I don't mind the tiles, it is just that I hate the charm bar and crap."

LMAO. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea now that you have opened my eyes. I think I'll go ahead and upgrade to Windows 8, and then do everything in my power to make it look and behave like Windows 7 all because....IT BOOTS FASTER. LOL.

Maybe if that's literally all that was improved, your remark and all caps wouldn't seem so childish. But alas.. *spins propeller on guests beanie hat*

mattfrompa said:
Maybe if that's literally all that was improved, your remark and all caps wouldn't seem so childish. But alas.. *spins propeller on guests beanie hat*

I keep hoping Microsoft's marketing department will pick up on these subtle hints I keep dropping to boost Windows 8 sales. It's an awesome bullet point don't you think? When people sit down and ask the tough questions like why they should pay money to lose freedom. God, that is marketing genius. I say put nothing but 10 bullet points on the back of the Windows 8 box, all in big bold fonts. Nothing else but 10 bullet points. And of course, the number one point would be, "IT BOOTS FASTER!!!". Put that in big bold caps so that people don't get confused about why they need Windows 8 so badly.Of course, we won't ask the questions that might be relevant to the bullet point such as:

"How MUCH faster doesn't it boot???" or maybe,
"It boots faster than What???" or maybe,
"At the expense of what???"

There remains no compelling reason to this day for me to upgrade to Windows 8. There are two groups of people upgrading to Windows 8. Nerds who can't shake the fallacy that newer is always better. Windows 8 is proof positive that if a turd is shiny enough, people will still buy it. And the second group of people who are buying Windows 8 couldn't tell you the name of their operating system if their life depended on it. That's who is buying Windows 8.

mattfrompa said:

I keep hoping Microsoft's marketing department will pick up on these subtle hints I keep dropping to boost Windows 8 sales. It's an awesome bullet point don't you think? When people sit down and ask the tough questions like why they should pay money to lose freedom. God, that is marketing genius. I say put nothing but 10 bullet points on the back of the Windows 8 box, all in big bold fonts. Nothing else but 10 bullet points. And of course, the number one point would be, "IT BOOTS FASTER!!!". Put that in big bold caps so that people don't get confused about why they need Windows 8 so badly.Of course, we won't ask the questions that might be relevant to the bullet point such as:

There remains no compelling reason to this day for me to upgrade to Windows 8. There are two groups of people upgrading to Windows 8. Nerds who can't shake the fallacy that newer is always better. Windows 8 is proof positive that if a turd is shiny enough, people will still buy it. And the second group of people who are buying Windows 8 couldn't tell you the name of their operating system if their life depended on it. That's who is buying Windows 8.

#1 Educate yourself: http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-desktop-users-should-upgrade-from-windows-7

#2 Metro interface does suck floppy donkey **** but there are loads of programs like "classic shell" or "startisback" that takes care of that little issue.

It's not just "newwer is better" for the sake of it being new, there are very real advantages hidden behind the crap that is metro. So just sweep that out of the way and you are a happy camper.

mattfrompa said:

lipe123 is pretty much spot on.

The way I see it is this: you have an option. You can either stay in the perfectly functional Windows 7, or move up to the even better Windows 8. Oh, don't cringe at the last sentence, Windows 8 is better. Question is, is the upgrade worth the money? That depends. But you see, Vista was more of an upgrade than 7 & 8 combined, and yet it is one of the most hated Windows versions. Most of its architectural improvements were overlooked by its apparent shortcomings. But it works and it works well; and yes, it is superior to XP.

Point is, you choose the best tool for the job. You don't have to upgrade, but do not act like 8 simply came with a Start Screen, and that everyone who does upgrade to 8 simply does it because its new. Telling that to yourself to justify not upgrading for your oiwn personal reasons is stupid.

The only reason people love 7 so much is because it brought a better-looking task bar, it booted faster, it was more efficient, etc. Or in other words: basically the same things as 8 (except for the taskbar, as it is the same).

But upgrades are cyclical; the improvement is upon the last best version, not the last worst. So a bump in performance from 7 to 8 is, comparatively speaking, higher than from Vista to 7. This is all logical, of course. But people like you seem to forget it, and constantly love to pat themselves on the back for choosing not to upgrade for personal reasons. You blindly hate on Windows 8 as if its the death of the desktop; as if MS will change its mind. Well two things:

The desktop is not going anywhere.

MS does not care about you.

And by you, I mean the kind of person that visits this website. That includes us. MS cares about the consumer. Preferably the uninformed.

"Voting" with your wallet is meaningless (and by that I don't mean not upgrading because you genuinely don't want/need to, but not upgrading as if you're fighting for some cause); Windows 9 will still have Metro and so will Windows 10. You either get on the "full Windows 8" bandwagon, the "Windows 8 with StartIsBack" bandwagon, or stick to Windows 7. Just realize the latter is not going to be future-proof.

Windows
NT 4.0 ....Flop!
NT 5.0 .....Flop! "Windows 2000"
NT 5.1 .....With SP3 Was a Best Seller! "XP 32-bit"
NT 5.2 .....With SP2 MS first 64-bit OS was very good! "XP 64-bit"

NT 6.0 .....Flop! "Windows Vista"
NT 6.1 .....With SP2 Was a Best Seller! "Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit"
NT 6.2 .....With SP1 Blue could be best seller? MS first hybrid UI "Windows 8 32-bit/64-bit"

NT 7.0 ......Hybrid Intel 64/ARMv8 "Windows 9?"

Blue is the code name for Service Pack 1 for Windows 8 32-bit/64-bit, Windows RT ARMv7, Windows Phone 8 ARNv7, Windows Server 2012 R2 and software update's to all and Unify Windows eco system!

I bet Windows Blue will basically be a service pack as the guest above has stated. MS is really going downhill as they restructure to a service and hardware company.

Back