TechSpot

Windows Blue to feature IE11, Bing search, public summer preview

By Rick
Feb 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Windows Blue, according to anonymous sources in touch with The Verge, is being targeted for an "aggressive" summer launch. The news outlet notes that Windows Blue just passed its "Milestone 1" build and says Win8China reported the first public preview...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

I really think they should revive the desktop... I would be surprised if they havent learned from Windows 8s failure. They need to make the desktop better, perhaps a desktop mode that disables the lock screen and such

3. Jermy

Jermy TS Rookie

You have a tile that says desktop on it. This will take you to the desktop.

xplayer and m4a4 like this.
  4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 376   +43

So is this a windows 8 service pack essentially or is it a new OS that they will charge for?

5. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

I agree 100% unknown. I installed start8 since installing windows8 and never looked back. I still get many people asking for help because windows 8 is to confusing and I recommend start8 to them and they are ok after that. Is confusion what Microsoft was shooting for? No way would we release windows 8 as is into our large company. Microsoft better do better on next release. Don't forget the desktop Microsoft. Touch should be a separate option not forced. You can do so much more with a mouse!

6. JC713

Yes I know, I mean a classic start menu desktop

7. JC713

They will probably do what Apple does, a yearly release with minimal changes for like 30 bucks (I upgraded my mac at home from 10.6 to 10.8, big improvements and it was worth waiting 2 years). Yes it changes the Kernel from 6.2 (Win8) to 6.3, but there could be minimal improvements. I wonder if MS will bring DX 12 with Windows Blue.

8. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 894   +134

They won't bring back any start menu and I don't think they should. What they should do is make the changes they've made less confusing and more accessible to M&K users.

9. JC713

I dont really care if they bring back the start menu. I just want something that is more accessible on a desktop than a tile menu. They have to remember they are a software giant known for the desktop... heck if they want to go into the tablet market, so be it! But they just need to accommodate both tablets and desktops seperately, and they are failing at that right now.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. Night Hacker

Night Hacker TS Enthusiast Posts: 113   +12

I'll stick with Windows 7. If I have to upgrade to something, it will be to Linux. I won't touch Windows 8 unless there are some major changes. Not just in the OS, but in how they approve software developers, which is my main problem with them.

Movatheaiur likes this.
  11. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

I don't really see a problem with not having a Start menu. They've made improvements to the actual desktop environment and they implemented the new Start screen paradigm. There are still improvements that need to be made to the Modern UI/Start screen and I look forward to those but I don't think we need to go back to a Start button/menu.

m4a4 and treeski like this.

12. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 894   +134

I wouldn't mind a start button (I hate the hot corners), but otherwise I agree.

13. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

So, in that line of thinking, there's a tile that says "Shutdown/Reboot" right?

I've been playing with Windows 8 for a little while. Only in terms of hours, and on a virtual windows box. And I'm not falling in love with it. I often feel trapped in Metro's UI and I'm slapping Escape to get out, or Back Space, or the Start Key. Something, but I'm getting stuck inside menu's and things and it's just too foreign on the desktop and feeling that there's something missing... Like a few command buttons. I'm really shocked that this made it through Microsoft's UI play testing group like this.

14. danwat1234

danwat1234 TS Rookie

I wonder if Windows Blue will have the same problem that XP, Vista, 7 and 8 have; Explorer.exe does not officially support file path lengths larger than 255 characters. This is highly annoying when dealing with nested folders in My Documents and other situations. I use Total Commander to take care of business.
    NTFS supports file path lengths of up to around 30,000 characters so why is explorer.exe use/have APIs that are back in the stone age of computing?

havok585 likes this.
  15. xplayer

xplayer TS Member Posts: 26

I don't understand people who don't like windows 8?? its the fastest windows ever turn on very fast turn off very fast and all previous apps work on it perfectly and plus that it has a lot of new features that is really great and handy so for me absolutely the windows blue will be even bitter, by the way since I watched the Real Steel Movie I knows that some thing blue is coming!! may be xbox 720 main system color will be blue too like the ATOM's lighting instead of green .

16. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 670   +96

Personally I don't have an issue with W8 having a new GUI interface, however I feel it was wrong not to give users the choice of classic or new interface. Frankly it seems a pretty daft policy on the part of MS as they have upset a large proportion of their user base (both private and commercial). Previous incarnations of Windows have had the classic option.

17. Buster Keaton

Buster Keaton TS Rookie Posts: 19

And M&K would be???

18. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Mouse and keyboard.

19. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +64

MS is not going to stop this idiocy until their really big enterprise customers start abandoning them, then we'll see the backpedal. Big corporations that buy tens of thousands of licenses of windows and office are not interested in app stores, touch first UIs, or integration with Microsoft's consumer level cloud services. They are also not going to be happy about retraining half their staff so that they can relearn what they already know how to do. It will be interesting to see what the solution is in the enterprise as Windows 7 marches toward its retirement in 2020.

20. Buster Keaton

Buster Keaton TS Rookie Posts: 19

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

21. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Booster Posts: 277   +29

This sounds like a major update to Windows 8 and its accompanying ecosystem. I liken it to what Service Pack 2 did for Windows XP: it transformed the OS into something more usable.

22. JC713

Well, I guess someone had to make the move that most people wont like for the better good of progression and the company. I like some improvements to Win 8, but I feel like it is just horrible on the desktop

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.