Windows BSOD when running P2P programs, online games, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has recently been experiencing many crashes and BSOD. I'm not exactly sure what the cause is because it just suddently started happening one day. It will give me a BSOD whenever I run bittorrent, MSN, online games, etc. I've also noticed sometimes my system will crash and BSOD at random times, even when I'm not doing anything on it.

I've checked the event viewer and found the following system error:
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000038, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 adc1dab6.

My computer specs:
Windows XP SP3
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
2.8 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
465 GB hardrive

I have no idea what the system error means, but i've searched around and most people say it is a driver error. Can anyone help me figure this all out?

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump on the troubled computer and attach any .dmp files you have there or just the last 5 if there are more present. That will help people here diagnose your problem.

In the meantime, since the most usual issue that causes the errors you mention is faulty RAM, I suggest you also download and burn a bootable CD with a RAM tester such as Memtest. You should run that test overnight and allow it to do at least 7 passes if possible. Be aware that each pass consists of several tests and each test can take a significant amount of time so staring at the screen while it's running will be very frustrating because a full pass can take well over an hour to complete.

At least your errors are consistent. 4 of 5 point to NVTcp.sys
They are all either 0xd1 or 0xc2.
• Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xC2 messages might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xC2 messages might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (such as disk controllers, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

I would suggest...
1. Make sure your mb chipset drivers, and graphics drivers are updated.
2. In April, Route44 made this note... "NVTcp.sys driver which belongs to the process NVIDIA Networking Protocol Driver belonging to the software NVIDIA TCP/IP Protocol Driver. Many, many people have had issues with this driver. Several places, including Nvidia's own forums recommend to Uninstall Network Access Manager."
3. You said ... "BSOD when running P2P programs, online games, etc" - P2P and online games are notoriously problematic. If you must use such software, I would suggest you look into doing it inside a virtual machine such as sandboxie. I prefer to get rid of P2P. you are just asking for trouble. Because of typical problems, I would stongly urge you to consider the possibility that you have become infected, and pursue the 8 steps. Because of the way P2P functions, you may have malware! So, here is a good place to start reading.
Start with the three stickies by Julio at the top... https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html
If you decide to try to clean, please, very carefully follow the instructions here...
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

For more debug information see below...
===========
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3)

Mini062809-01.dmp
BugCheck 100000D1, {38, 2, 1, adc1dab6}
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses.
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xD1
PROCESS_NAME: Engine.exe
IMAGE_NAME: NVTcp.sys
---------

Mini062609-01.dmp
BugCheck 100000D1, {210001c, 2, 1, ac4a01d1}
Probably caused by : NVTcp.sys ( NVTcp+41d1 )
PROCESS_NAME: Idle
---------

Mini062409-01.dmp
BugCheck C2, {7, cd4, 1004f, 88e16e68}
BAD_POOL_CALLER (c2)
The current thread is making a bad pool request. Typically this is at a bad IRQL level or double freeing the same allocation, etc.
---------

Mini061809-01.dmp
BAD_POOL_CALLER (c2)
---------

Mini061409-01.dmp
BugCheck 100000D1, {ffffff20, 2, 0, ba4dd62f}
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xD1 (see above)
PROCESS_NAME: System
IMAGE_NAME: Ntfs.sys

Thanks for the reply!

I have made sure to uninstall all P2P programs and scan for malware thoroughly before posting here.

I can recall the NVIDIA firewall causing me a lot of problems in the past. My computer would BSOD every 3-5 minutes upon booting up (this was a new computer at that time too!) I disabled the NVIDIA firewall and everything ran smoothly. And I could run P2P programs, online games and MSN without any difficulty in the past, so i'm not quite sure why my system is acting this way now.

I'll try uninstalling NVIDIA Network Access Manager and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back