"Windows cannot access the specified..." when attempting to install a program

Whenever I try to install the popular live-communication program Ventrilo, I receive the ever-present "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

I am the owner of this computer, and, as far as I know, I have all of the required permissions.

Edit: I am running a Windows Vista, I am not sure what service pack level I have, as far as the updates go, I may not have downloaded them all, I am about to, and when I am done, I will report back with the results.

not sure that i know the answer to your question... but still pls indicate which version of Windows you're running and which service pack level? are all windows updates installed?

Ugh, apparently it's Service Pack 1.

Also, I attempted to run a system restore and it didn't complete successfully, I tried it again with a different restore point an it still didn't work.

Do you have your Vista installation disks? Or did your system supplier (e.g. Dell or HP?) put a recovery partition on your hard drive?

As, since system restore didn't work (and i'll guess you have no system backups?) i'd think next best attempts
1) Do a Repair Install of your current Vista SP1 then followed by
2) Installing Vista SP2

But as to doing a Repair install, is where you'd need either your installation disks and/or a recovery partition on your hard drive

/* EDIT */
ALSO:
> Your userid DOES have admin rights, yes?
> What file or path is Vista actually complaining about? Does it say along with the error message?
> Also see here for other possible hints

UAC is disabled, I did that eons ago.

To looking, I am the owner of this computer, my account is the only one on it.

The error complains about the following: C:\Windows\system32\MSIEXEC.exe.

Back