Windows can't do 5.1 right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhmuz

The tittle may seem misleading but it is in fact the biggest part of the problem I am having. I have a Razer AC-1 sound card installed in my PC with the latest drivers available. The problem being when I enter the "Configure" option when in the Sound control panel and do a 5.1 test the audio comes back all messed up. IE: Front right audio comes from center, Center comes from rear left, Left comes from front right, Rear Left comes front rear right and Rear right doesn't make any noise at all (the sub works intermittently as well) If I were to the the test again the results would change completely and every time after that. When listening to music I have to try starting the song several times before it sounds right and playing games which support 5.1 have the exact same problem. This issue seems to have started when I got my new motherboard when I switched to i7. I have tried everything I could think of ranging from completely removing and disable the on board sound to changing the Sound cards physical slot. If any one can help me with this problem I will be more than grateful.

The issue only started to occur after I changed motherboards, but It may be a combined effort being windows vista 64 bit and I'm using 32 bit drivers (No 64 bit drivers available). Again that was how my previous installation was setup.

Well I think I've solved my problem... I removed the card, un-installed all my audio related drivers. Then re-enable my motherboard audio and let it install the basic HD Audio Drivers, tested it to discover it worked just fine. Re-Installed the sound card and the appropriated drivers, tested it with my Barracuda headphones to find that the same problem persisted but only while I had my speakers plugged into my motherboard. Using the supplied dongle that allows one to use standard 5.1 speakers I split each channel to allow both my speakers and the barracuda headphones to be plugged in to the same audio source at the same time (using the dongle that allows the headphones to be used with a standard sound card). Now this may see like a lot of wiring and complications for nothing but now it works just fine, this is how it was setup prior to everything and was working before until it decided to stop for no reason...

Anyways I am happy to have fixed my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back