Windows Can't Find Old Hard Drive as Slave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

I have an HP Media Center (M1170n) that had a Western Digital SATA drive (Part # wd2000). Upon initial bootup, the system indicated there was an error with the HAL.DLL file. Rather than mess with the file, I went out and bought a new hard drive and botted the system up with some recovery disks. The system booted up fine and the OS is good.

Now I am trying to run the old Hard Drive as a Slave so that I can pull the old files (Pictures/videos/text) off of it. I plugged the old SATA drive into the SATA2 drive on my motherboard, and it is recognized in BIOS, but once windows starts it does not recognize that the old drive is presents.

I have gone under "Disk Management" and even tried "Add New Hardware" and gotten no results. You can tell that the drive is spinning, so I do not think that there is a physical problem with the disk that is preventing it from being detected.

I am fairly competent in working with my PC, but this is over my head quite frankly. Was there a step that I missed? I have a lot of pictures of my kids on here and it is going to kill me if I cannot retrieve them. I have a backup DVD from 9 months ago, but I really don't want to lose the last 9 months!

Thanks again for any help.

To be sure not using the same Master or slave easily just remove the jumper and let it blank and the Bios will put it automatically on slave.

If it still don't work when you go to BIOS click enter on the old SATA HDD and check if it detect the full space capacity size of the HDD and the cluster number as sometimes Bios can detect but not the full space capacity size thus windows will not be able to detect it.

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure SATA doesn't use jumpers, but simply a master channel and secondary channel on the motherboard? Like primary IDE and secondary ide on the motherboard?

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure SATA doesn't use jumpers, but simply a master channel and secondary channel on the motherboard? Like primary IDE and secondary ide on the motherboard?

Yeah that's true in one way but there is extension cable as for IDE that give you the opportunity to connect two SATA HDD on only on cable as the IDE does and thus at this time you will need jumper to seperate master and slave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back