Windows can't reinstalll - blue screen of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to reinstall my windows to fix some problems I have. Upgrade function didn't fix everything so I backed everything up from my C:\ drive to D:\ and selected New Installation (Windows XP ME 2005), then I selected Repair (R) when it "went down" to the installation, where you can only use the keyboard. But all the time when I get to the point where it talks about the Movie Maker (a.k.a. a specific % of the installation) it gives me the Blue Screen of DEATH!

And it happens all the time... But I cant start the installation over again, I can't use the computer - every time I turn it on it tries to resume the setup... I can't format it either, for some reason my computer doesn't show the function "Press any key to boot from the CD". So yeah, I need some help here. Someone suggested me to get a new hard drive which I know would work good, so I reinstalled windows on my old computer which has about as much GB as the original one does, I thought of replacing but:
1) I couldn't take it out O.o
2) In the computer that got problems I found only one hard drive (D:\), I saw it say 160GB on it which is obviously D:\, but I can't find the 21GB C:\ which confuses me :confused: (0.o)

If you know what to do please reply because if I don't fix it it'll be the end of me...foreva!

I think you shouldn't have selected Repair (R). If you intend to reinstall Windows, you should select Enter and continue.

yeah my sister did that.... am i able to do it over again to press Enter somehow? What shoudl i do in this case?

After setting the optical drive as the first boot device, put the Windows CD into the drive tray and restart the PC. Go from there.

thank you very much! btw what is BIOS? I always get "bios is not installed" when my computer starts i just dont get what it is.

If you don't have any SATA drives connected, disable the SATA controllers in the BIOS. That should get rid of the message.

That's not really an error message if there are no SATA devices installed. He should still be able to get into the BIOS.

Google on "BIOS not installed" and you should find an explanation. I really didn't know myself until I did.

the thing is that I can't turn on the computer at all. It starts setting up the windows installation process and then again the BSoD appears and everything loops...
I tried to google the BIOS, but as i found out the computer should be able to load to access the BIOS installation.

litos, what you said doesn't make sense to me. You keep saying you can't turn on the computer at all but then say it starts setting up the Windows installation process. If it gets as far as setting up the Windows installation process, then the PC has been turned on.

I think you are unclear on how to get into the BIOS. In fact, I realize you don't seem to know what a BIOS is. Depending on what kind of PC you have, you get into the BIOS by hitting the "DELETE" key or some other key as soon as the motherboard logo appears which is right away. The logo page should say something to the effect of, "To enter setup, press xx," where xx is the key to hit.

You may hit it several times if you aren't sure of the precise moment. In any case, if you get to the Windows installation, you've gone too far and missed getting into the BIOS.

I really recommend that you consult the manual that comes with the PC or motherboard (depending on if this is prebuilt or custom built) for instructions on how to make changes in your BIOS. If you have no idea what you are doing in the BIOS, you can really screw up your PC. If you don't have a manual, you should be able to download one from the PC or motherboard manufacturer.

So what kind of PC do you have and what are its specifications?

no lol i know what it is... i just wasnt sure what to do. everythign is ok now, im writing from this computer now :D so dont worry i just changed the priority and it all worked... thanks anyways :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back