Windows could not load the installer for Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. This is my first post, so I apologize if I have posted in the wrong area.

I need help. Everything was working fine when suddenly I could no longer print. I attempted to reinstall the printer drivers and each time I do I get an error message (screen shot attached): "Device Installer Error - Windows could not load the installer for Image. contact your hardware vendor for assistance."

I completely uninstalled the printer, then attempted reinstallation again using the printer's install CD. I can get as far as the point where it tells me to plug the USB cable in, and that's where I get the error message.

I have a virus checker that runs continuously (Avast), so I am confident that I am protected there.
I also did a complete malware/adware scan (Ad-Aware) and that checked out fine.
Also ran chkdsk and it was fine.
Did a defrag too.
I ran Uniblue's Speed Up My PC utility (I run that daily anyway).
Also ran Uniblue's Registry Booster.
Went out to Microsoft and downloaded the latest version of Windows Installer.
I also tried System Restore. First, I went back about a week, then went back almost a month. Didn't help.

That's all I can think of that I tried. Each time I tried a possible remedy, I did a complete uninstall of the printer and attempted to reinstall, but each time I get the same error message.

I am running Windows XP with all required updates.
My printer is an HP Photosmart C4180.

I Googled the error message but did not find anything very helpful, except that the consensus seems to be that the problem lies with the PC rather than the printer.

Please, please, please, if anyone knows how to fix this, I would be most appreciative. Thank you so much for your time.

Start > Run > Services.msc > ok
Scroll down to Print Spooler, and double click on it
Confirm (or change) it is in Automatic and then Start it > Apply > Close Services Window

Go here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100655.html
And using the Start Detection button (with the printer turned on and connected)

All should then be fine, you may need to do a restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back