Windows crash, minidump included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone.

I have some problems with my computer. I have an online game that always causes my Windows XP to crash and restart whenever I start the game. It all started just few days ago after I ran an update for my Comodo firewall, before that the game never causes any problem and always run smoothly. I don't know much about computers, so I thought the Comodo update was somehow causing this, but the game still crashes even after I tried to start the game with Comodo disabled. I uninstalled the online game and reinstalled it but it still crashes. I never got the BSOD during crash although I already unchecked the Automatically restart box so I don't know what message is displayed there, and Windows seem to stop creating minidump files after the first 2 crashes. I include here a minidump file from the first crash, I don't know much what to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Mini041908-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 7
Your error is an 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and the cause is defined as one of three types of problems occuring in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

In your case the driver cited was cmdguard.sys and it is related to COMODO Firewall Pro Sandbox Driver. When I read how you had crashes after your Comodo installation I suspected it had to be the firewall because of your stability prior to installing.

Keep in mind that even though you may disable a firewall, anti-virus, etc., there are still drivers and processes present. For example, a quite common problem people have is the uninstalling of one firewall and then the installing of another but they get crashes. It is due to the fact that security software often leaves remnants behind. Though not active it still interfers with the new firewall.

I suggest two things:

1. Completely uninstall and reinstall Comodo. Many times that is all it takes.

2. Go to Comodo's forums and seek advice on how to rectify this problem. Give them the information of your circumstances after installing and how your minidump was read and that cmdguard.sys was specifiaclly cited as the cause of your crashes.

Let us know how it works out.

Can someone please explain what these messages mean ?

ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for cmdguard.sys
ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avipbb.sys

A person from Comodo forums said these messages can be found from my minidump file. Thanks in advance.

kimsland said:
Disregard

The person from comodo, needs to update his scanning software !

:D

Incar, minidump files contain information but the advice you got from the person at Comodo is actually no help at all. Your minidump file was already read and it pointed to cmdguard.sys which is part of this firewall. So, yes, they are in your minidump files, but you need a fix not someone telling you they are already there! As kimsland rightly says, "Disregard."

Coupled with the fact that you had no problems prior to installing it, I would say Comodo is the #1 culprit in your case.

avipbb.sys is part of Antivir and from what I have read is a very stable antivirus software.

I would return and do a search for cmdguard.sys on their website and see what others are experiencing.

Hi, it appears a lot of people are facing the same problem. According to the Comodo forums, the restarts are caused by a conflict or something between Comodo firewall and GameGuard, an anti-hack program used by many online games. For anyone with similar problem there's a thread discussing this matter specifically in their forum. It seems the only solution available currently is to disable Comodo's Defense + feature permanently or uninstall the firewall. Sorry to post this thread in this section as it turned out the problem has little to do with Windows OS itself :blush: :eek: . Thanks again for all the help. :)

No, don't be sorry. :) This is good information to know and helps us help others. Thanks for posting back. If they ever do get it straightened out let us know that as well. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back