Windows doesn't detect my new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweeds1

i have about a 5 yr old compaq running xp.i had bestbuy to put in a radeon 9550 avg graphics card and i had to restore my com now windows wont detect the card so when i try to install the soft ware it says it cant find any hardware to install the software.i could use any help plz and ty.
Edit/Delete Message

im sry im new at this certin prob.this link is for hp driver downloads i dont need drivers but i dont know what i do need.

Your onboard video drivers must be fully functional, before any addon Video card drivers can be installed properly (if you have an onboard video card)

You should also update all your Compaq (being HP) drivers fully anyway

the factory card is good and i use to have this radeon 9559 avg card in but i had to restore.i know i have to disable it in the bios which i dont know what to look for in bios cus id dont just say video card.

The only thing in Bios is PCI or AGP or PCI-E addon card enabled (or disabled)

But just doing the drivers above is usually all that is required

it dont say anything about a card either .but i dont understand how downloading more drivers for my old card will help windows to detect my new card

windows still dont detect my graphics card when i put it in and boot up theres no hardware wizard plz help

Start-->Run--> devmgmt.msc

In Device Manager, locate the (yellow) queried Video Card Device, right click on it and remove it
Then restart

there is no yellow mark and it only shows my factory card.ive just been messing around trying to get windows to detect the radeon card.it was doin it earlier today but i wasnt installing it at the time and then it stop the detect wizard.any suggestions?

there is no yellow mark
So Device Manager must think it's already installed

Try this:
Remove the card
Plug your Monitor into your onboard Video socket
Boot up fully
Shutdown (strange I know!)
Fit the new card again (securely <- they have a to be pushed in flush)
Put the Monitor back to the new AGP card
Turn on
At this point you might want to check CMOS setup for any "Enable" AGP addon support.
Then Save and exit, and continue boot up

Hopefully the card is then detected
As long as that card is compatible with your Motherboard

the only thing i meant thats in device manager is the old factory card.and since the guy from bestbuy put the card in the first time he said something about he disabled the old one in the bios but my computer is about 5 yrs old and the bios dosent say enable avg support.the only thing close to that i seen wasvga palette snooping.and to disable the old pci card i dont know what to look for but i guess it dont matter being windos stop detecting the new card grrr.

I believe it is either a faulty AGP (just in case:--> AGP <-- ) Card fault, or the old AGP port on the Motherboard is faulty (probably likely this one)

AGP Motherboards are now quite old (actually there were some new ones made, but...) PCI-Express (or PCI-E) is the new way (for the past few years now)

i meant in the device manger the only card showing is the factory pci card.and my bios doesnt have enableagp so i dont know what to look for.i have like pci bus mastering enabled and coouple other things but guess it dont matter being windows stoped detecting the old card grr.

Yes, because you are so quick to reply (which is quite good actually) I didn't decide to edit my above post and answer that question too. So I'll do it now!

It is possible that your BIOS (or CMOS setup) does not show AGP enabled option (basically some old Bios setups didn't have it)
If the Bios doesn't have any "enable" option, then it must autoEnable on the card insertion

But Device Manager would still show in the area: "Display Adaptors" your AGP card
By the way, if there is anything stated under "Display Adaptors" just remove it (right click and remove) then restart. (But I believe you have already done this)

I still say faulty Card or AGP port

ya has to be the old card is enabled and i remember the guy at bestbuy telling me he had to disable it in bios.it wont even let me install the cards cd installation becaus it says it cant find any hardware.

Actually I sway towards the fact that it is likely in CMOS setup somewhere

You are arrowing all the way down on each tab (some screens go further down)
And sometimes if you enable one area, another area in CMOS opens
Yes have a slow look through CMOS (yet again)

BIOS (mentioned all the way along in this thread) is what holds the software of what turns your computer on (and is Read-Only)
CMOS is the adjustable part (like Enable or Disable settings that you can make)

the factory card is good and i use to have this radeon 9559 avg card in but i had to restore.i know i have to disable it in the bios which i dont know what to look for in bios cus id dont just say video card.

You have been to Bios (or CMOS rather)
And we ( well I ) have spoken about CMOS throughout this thread (many times)

Are you saying you haven't been to CMOS yet ??? <-- Note excessive use of ? (normally not allowed, unless support frustrated!)

There are already too many replies to this thread, for me to go back to the start and say check CMOS

When you first turn on your computer, you should notice a key to press like DEL or F2 (or something) to get into CMOS setup

Once you see that key (displayed on the screen somewhere)
Press it, within 3seconds, to get into the CMOS setup screen

Now, some old Bios revisions (or computers rather) don't display this key prompt
No doubt yours being one of them!
In that case you would need to work out (possibly through downloading the manual) what the key button press is (ie even if it doesn't show when you first turn on the computer, it still can be pressed)

At last once in CMOS, re-read this thread

edit:

wow give me a moment (ie your edit) I need a few mins to answer

ya its f10 to get me in bios settings but theres only soo many things there like onbourd devices um pci something im just not sure what to change but like i said i got to find out why windows has stoped detecting the hardware first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back