Windows doesn't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahpz

hi,
just over an hour ago i tryed to turn on my pc so i press the button to turn it on ,then the usual things happen but after the windows loading page this happens:
"we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
if your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
if a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failuer or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the [rpblem, choose start windows normally

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
last known good configuration
start windows normally "
i tried all of the options then windows restart and it comes back to the same page, what should i do please.
i have this disk which readsrestore dvd and when i go in it it has 2 options,1st one being restoring my pc to scratch and other command prompt from cd-rom.i have an emachines pc which is 4 years old and also i would not like to lose my files as i have family photos on it which mean a lot to me.

thank you for taking time to read my question and have a nice
chkdsk only shows my memory status.
ok so ill get a xp home edition recovery disk sp2 but i think the update of sp3 caused this so should i get both cd's?
can i get the cd at a computer store and how much?

I would try a Windows CheckDisk (chkdsk) at this point as this may be file system corruption. Boot from the Windows installation CD and select Recovery Console. Once you get to the DOS prompt, enter CHKDSK /R It should take between 20 to 40 minutes to complete depending on the size of your installation and the amount of file system corruption.

Repost if you still have problems.

Best,
-- Andy

hi when i do chkdsk it gives how much memory i have straight away when i do chkdsk/r it says invalid switch r.

it says invalid switch

they dont work

i only have commands v and f

Try

chkdsk c: /r

chkdsk<space>C:<space><forward slash>R

ie:

chkdsk C: /R

If that doesn't work do this:

chkdsk C: /F

Please let me know how it goes :)

Using chkdsk : http://www.deltatranslator.com/chkdsk.htm

I might have had one too many spaces

Try

chkdsk C:/F

if that doesn't work do this:

chkdsk/?

This will show you all the commands

no command prompt

it only has commands v and f

i havent got the recovery cd and i only got the restore dvd and no one else knows about computers in my house

ive been trying to get it fixed with this guy on paltalk for about 4 hours

rahpz do you happen to have someone there with just a little more understanding of computers?

If it only has v or f, then use f, as stated above.

Please re-read the thread. Because to get you to run this one command is very difficult

hi when i do chkdsk it gives how much memory

So what exactly have you been running then?

Are you running this from where exactly?

Some recovery CD's don't have this option available, to run chkdsk

Do you need anything backed up, because you could just do a full recovery

i havent got the recovery cd and i only got the restore dvd and no one else knows about computers in my house

It's not the recovery DVD you need, it's the Windows installation CD. Ask a friend or go to a local independent computer store and ask to borrow one. For Recovery Console, any Windows installation CD will do but if you get into a Windows repair, you'll need the one for whatever Windows edition you have. See if you can get one that matches your edition.

Which version of Windows are you running BTW?

Best,
-- Andy

Yes

And stop replying to yourself

Use Edit instead, if yours is still the last post

Geez I hope Check Disk fixes this, I wouldn't like to say run another command

No, there are 3 editions of XP: Home, Professional and Media Center. Also, make sure the Windows XP installation has at least the same Service Pack as the one you currently have installed. If you use one that say has SP1 but your installation is SP2 or SP3, it will just mess up the current installation.

Best,
-- Andy

Gods sake it's difficult trying to help this member enough

But Andy, you can use any Windows CD to run Check Disk
I haven't removed your post, so I could tell you this

rahpz, I didn't mean Edit your original post and then ask question!
I said, If yours is still the last post, then use EDIT instead
ie Don't post two in a row

XP Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515

XP Home: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

XP Media Center Edition 2005: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116049

I'd just go to any independent computer store. Now that Microsoft uses product keys for Windows, they can just make a copy of the installation CD for you. You really pay for the product key and you already have one (it's the sticker on the side of the computer)

Just find a local independent store and they should give you or loan you a copy.

Best,
-- Andy

i had the recovry cd last time i saw it was 2 years ago but only have the restore dvd now:( but with it i can get into command prompt with limited switches

Yes I see

Well this Possible Virus has really caused some damage

You can use a CD such as The Ultimate BootCD to boot up and back up your data
And then Re-install Windows
Install all Drivers, and security updates
And then install AntiVirus and update it
Then return your backup

Or

You can remove your HardDrive and plug it into another computer as a secondary drive (not main drive of course)
And then do a full AntiVirus and Spyware scan on it (plus backup too)
Then return the drive, and hopefully it will run

its not a virus coz i was using the computer then i swiitched of and then 10minz later i switched on and then the black screen came on

ok but same principle

Use any bootCd (windows Xp anything)

Try chkdsk from the command prompt (recovery console)

Please reply back once done (this may take you a while)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back