Windows error message (Need help figuring this one out!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfpack

Need help figuring this one out!

I've gotten this error 3 times now: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt".

First i thought it was the MB which caused it but it didn't help when i changed it (from a Via to Nforce2).

I then realized that the problem had only started after i changed my graphicscard from a Geforce 2 mx to a Ati 9600se. I changed them back and now everything is working ok again.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem with the Ati-card can be?

Thanks

Robert

- Thread title edited
Didou

First of all :wave:Welcome To TechSpot!:wave:

Have you uninstalled all the old Nvidia drivers and run a cleaner before installing the ATI card?

Which brand of video card? (Sapphire, true ATI, etc.)

Tell us more about your Power Supply. Brand, wattage, etc.

Thanks,
Bug

can you download drivers from the ati website and use those, instead of the ones on the CD you got with the card?

It is possible that it is a hardware malfunction with the video card, or a compatibility issue with the Motherboard. Can you test the vid card in another system to see if it causes the same issue?

Preferably a system with the same OS.

Bug

I tried it with my old MB (VIA-chipset) and it was the same, after i changed to my new (nforce2) it worked for about a week before it crashed again.

[blockquote]I tried it with my old MB (VIA-chipset) and it was the same[/blockquote]

Just for clarification so we are on the same page. This means it worked fine in the older Via board?

I would then think a possible hardware conflict. I would try the following:
1) Clear CMOS on your nforce board and run at default settings.
2) If the issue persists, see about updating the BIOS to the latest one available.
3) If still no go, you might see if you can test in another nforce2 board. I have a number of friends with an nforce2 as they are very popular. See if one of your friends has one and is willing to let you test it.

Bug

Sorry, i wasn't very clear, it didn't work on the old MB (VIA) either.

I have upgraded to the latest bios.

Ok, then I would think it an issue with the video card itself... How old is it? Have you contacted the manufacturer for RMA information? Sorry to hear about that. Hope they can replace it for you.
Bug

No Problem, Return Merchandise Authorization. It is the form that companies use when end-users, such as yourself, need to replace the product under warranty. Contact them, do what troubleshooting they request, let them know what you have done for troubleshooting, and if it still doesn't work, they should provide the RMA form.

Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back