windows error msg on bootup!!

By bonez
Nov 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this looks nasty. on bootup i get an error saying something like

"windows could not start becos the following file is missing or corrupt:
    wondows/system32/config/system

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD ROM.
    select "r" at the first screen to start repair."

i press R and it just restarts.. and pressing any other button also restarts comp. I cant go any further than this screen (am on a laptop now). Problem is i dont have the Windows xP professional CD.. is there any other way to tackle this prob?? i need help asap. i cant even enter safe mode (although i can reach the safe mode menu).

At the time i was chatting on msn and my pc randomly restarted and this happened.
  2. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Posts: 224

Have you tried the Last known good configuration option?

See this page: http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/RecoveringXP.htm

You could create a BartPE rescue disc on another PC and use it to work on the afflicated PC. The information on how to do that is also there.
  3. gary_hendricks

gary_hendricks TS Rookie Posts: 138

Hi bonez,

Yess this is nasty. If I get a msg like that I start to panic. However, you should try to look at what you did b4 you got this message. Did you accidentally delete some Windows file? Or did you install a funny crap piece of software?
  4. bonez

bonez TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

thx for your replies.
    Before it happened i was on msn chatting and didnt delete any files or do anything but the pc randomly restarted and this turns up.

also i canot use last known configuration cos it has to load the win xp pro 1st which cannot happen cos this error msg comes up.

I will look into that link you posted. How will i go about making a recovery floppy disk for win xppro though? if u can explain how i can do this on this laptopn and then use it on my pc, id be greateful.

thanks! :giddy:
  5. ryan01

ryan01 TS Rookie

bonez, I recently had an error just like that!...I have no idea why I got the message...I was unable to boot up...It's like everything seems normal until one day all hell breaks loose...and I didn't touch or delete my system files either, so I don't feel I did anything to cause this...

The "last known good configuration" option did absolutely nothing for me when I tried it...(neither did the Repair Console do any good)...Plus, the only choice for "picking an operating system" was Windows XP...there was no other option for me, so I was forced to pick this and each time I did so, I would get another error and it would reset and this would just repeat... :confused: I have one physical hard drive, with two partitions, C: and D:, and my windows systems files are all on the D: drive only...(don't ask me why...this computer used to belong to my dad) but why all the sudden does this occurr??
  6. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody TS Rookie Posts: 205

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.