Windows Experience Index - netbook HDD beats gaming laptop

JesseM

I just got my mom a new Asus Eee netbook. After running the Windows experience index I was stunned, the hard drive on this little thing got a MUCH higher score than on my gaming laptop. This netbook has a Western Digital 250GB SATA drive listed as 5400RPM.

The netbook got a 7.2 and my gaming laptop got a 5.9, both with 5400RPM SATA drives. What gives? If it's just a fluke of the experience index that's fine, but if my laptop's HDD is actually slower than this netbook's I'm going to want to do something about it.

Well something's iffy, since everything above 5.9 is reserved for SSD's. (At least it was when I last checked a couple of months ago). Maybe it's a fluke in the windows index. 7.2 is close to the maximum 8, and that's reserved for high-end multi-RAID SSD setups.

That score is very manipulative, though. It's actually a simple process of changing a single file in the Windows folder - (provided you want to "go rough" on having a nice gaming laptop HDD :D )

Well something's iffy, since everything above 5.9 is reserved for SSD's.

That's what I thought, too. It also could have something to do with the fact that this netbook is running Win7 Starter. Either way I don't feel so bad now that my thoughts have been backed up, thanks!

Back