Windows folder out of control

Status
Not open for further replies.

anshu12

Hi,
i am in a big fix with my computer hard disk space.
It's capacity is 75 gb.
The windows folder itself is 60 gb
i tried uninstalling windows sp 3 but it didnt work.
i have only 2 gb of free space remaining and i am afraid soon i will be out of free space.
i have downloaded ccleaner and few other softwares that remove pc junk but my hard disk
space is still decreasing.

Please Help !
Thanks

Have you run scans for spyware and viruses?
What is the brand, model, and configuration of the computer

When did this happen?

You know that a drive's formatted capacity is always less than its actual capacity right? Like a 2gb hdd would format to 1.8, an 8gb would format to 7.4...

Do this (make sure you do all the steps in Disk cleanup below and remove old restore points this can be huge) one poster recently gained back 30 Gigs)

CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds (get SLIM at Bottom no yahoo toolbar)
Run twice or more on Cleanup temps, then on left click Registry then Scan for issues also repeat till clean.

Run ATF-Cleaner http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html Temp and Registry, repeatedly until no more found.

KCleaner ftp://ftp2.kcsoftwares.com/kcsoftwa/files/kcleaner.exe
Fantastic cleaner.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Disk Cleanup advanced

Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk- System Restore and create a new Restore point. Name it "Cleanup at TechSpot".

Then Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup
Click OK to accept C:
Select all Boxes
Then click More Options
Here click System Restore and OK to "Are you sure" and the OK to Run.

As this runs it clears all but the most recent Restore Point but it does one other thing that can contain infested files and a huge amount of disk space.

It clears what is known as Shadow copies which are used by specialized back up programs.

This is if you have the Volume Shadow Copy running which is the default.

Mike

Fixed!!

thank you for telling me all the steps now my computer has a decent 20 gb of space remaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back