Windows freezes and must be reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my computer, windows will at some point freeze and have to be restarted. The mouse or keyboard will not work and the programs quit running but you can still see the picture normally.

Here are the errors that I believe cause it as displayed in Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SAVRT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6
Date: 5/11/2008
Time: 9:09:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: NONE-AF9FE5788A
Description:
Incompatible version of SYMEVENT.SYS is loaded.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 5/11/2008
Time: 9:09:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: NONE-AF9FE5788A
Description:
The SAVRT service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

For more information, see Help and Support Center <-- Address given doesn't work

They always occur with same time stamp and "SAVRT" seems to cause "Service Control Manager". "SAVRT" happens first.

There are no errors in Device Manager.

Can anyone help me with this situation?

This is a hardware error... could be Hard Drive, memory, video graphics, CPU fan, or any of a number of drivers.
But the error generally relates to Symantec AntiVirus (SAV) referencing driver SAVRT.SYS version 9.0.2.1 from Symantec.

This error can occur because of a coding error in the http.sys file resulting in stack corruption.

You might find useful information by going to www.microsoft.com and looking up the knowledgebase article 887742 which may or may not have some information that can be helpful.

believe it is solved

I set any service that had to do with SAV to manual and problem hasn't happened since. I think that solved the problem.

Thank you for your response.

disabling the services didn't work

Disabling the services did not help. I tried what was listed in the link you provided. Now i must just wait and hope it doesn't freeze again.

Thank you

For more information, see Help and Support Center <-- Address given doesn't work

I stopped even checking these URLs over two years ago! One would think Microsoft would clean up their support.

Check the Event Viewer again, looking for Error at time of freeze. When it does, glance at the computer clock and find error that corresponds in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back