Windows freezes on restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built 5 computers b4 with no problems but this one got me utterly confused. I built a computer for a friend and his dad. my friend built them while i watched i just order the parts. We got it all together and it turns on we installed windows xp pro just fine. Once he installed all the drivers and updated them all we updated windows. now every time he goes to restart he has to shutdown his computer and flip the ps switch in the back of the computer then flip it back on and the computer will turn on just fine. otherwise when he turns off the the comp or restarts it without doing that windows freezes while loading. Contacted Microsoft because i assumed it was a windows error. They said it could be a corrupted windows update. I was thinking wouldn't it do it all the time then not just when it restarted. The only thing i can think of is that the computer doesn't turn off completely and so the ram isn't completly cleared until we kill power to the ps. so when windows trys to load again to locks it up. idk just taking an educated guess. please let me know if u have any insights.

my friends setup ------------------------- his dads
mobo =asus m3n socket am2-----------------------------same
cpu = AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+------------------------Amd athlon x2 6400+
ram = 4gb of ocz ddr 2-----------------------------------2gb of wintec ddr2
vid = X1650pro 512mb pcix16------------------------Same
case = Raidmax-------------------------------------------Apevia
Ps = Raidmax 500watt---------------------------------Apevia 520 watt
os = win xp pro------------------------------------------same

they use the same windows cd. thats y i orginally thought it was a windows problem but it only happens when they dont kill pwr to the ps. so then i thought it was a motherboard issue. it could be combination of problems but and info can help. thanks.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
Use one of the following procedures:
  • • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
  • • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start. (tick)
  • • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back