TechSpot

Windows Genuine Advantage downloaded, but not installed...

By Buzz
Sep 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Guys,

Don't know IF I am posting in the correct place or not, but here is my prob.

I am running a non-genuine copy of Windows XP Pro.

I have been careful NOT to download or install the WGA program/update. My friend accidently downloaded it yesterday.
    (I have selected for Windows updates to notify me only, so i can pick & choose what downloads I want to download & install - especially in regards to WGA).

I found out that WGA had been downloaded when I went to shutdown last nite. Of course, I chose the option NOT to install the program/update for WGA (it has never been installed on my laptop).

So, my question is:
    Where do I go to to find the download and delete it completely ?

You guys have been a great help to me over the years - many thanks in advance,
    cheers from smiling Thailand.
    Buzz

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"I am running a non-genuine copy of Windows XP Pro"
    You have chosen to run this, so it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. You would not be able to update this illegal copy of XP fully anyway

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

That's the issue when you use pirated software unfortunately.

I highly recommend you purchase a license and genuine copy of Windows, if only for the safety aspects of having a fully updated, malware free OS.