Windows "genuine validation"

By macx
Sep 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My 80 yr old cousin has recently had some problems with her Windows - here's an excerpt
    from her email to me - I've heard of this before, but is there any way to cure this? As far as I know, it's the same Windows she's been using for quite some time, and she doesn't say how
    long this has been going on but I don't believe it's been since Day 1.

Every few days there is a little box that pops up that says:
    "Windows did not pass genuine validation. Security Essentials will become disabled in
    30 days if you do not resolve this issue. To continue using Security Essentials, go online
    to resolve and get Genuine Windows".
    The little icon on bottom is green, when this box pops up the icon is yellow.
    What I've been doing is click on it and then do a quick scan - it then immediately turns
    green and I'm good to go for another couple days. Occasionally, the little icon is
    very slow in showing up at all.

Could it be something with the installation process that wasn't completed, or ??

Thanks for any tips!
  2. macx

macx TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 742

Well, scratch that. Found some info (I always think of doing a Search after the fact :-/ )

I think I can help her with it - doesn't look like any major threat to shut her down as she
    was worrying about.

Thx anyway!
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

The validation process REQUIRES the IE browser + ActiveX enabled + allow install from the Popup that occurs.
    IF the system is Vista or Win/7, it should prompt for the Admin password else, perform this validation from an Admin Login.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.