Windows "genuine validation"

macx

My 80 yr old cousin has recently had some problems with her Windows - here's an excerpt
from her email to me - I've heard of this before, but is there any way to cure this? As far as I know, it's the same Windows she's been using for quite some time, and she doesn't say how
long this has been going on but I don't believe it's been since Day 1.

[FONT=Corbel]Every few days there is a little box that pops up that says:[/FONT]
[FONT=Corbel] "Windows did not pass genuine validation. Security Essentials will become disabled in[/FONT]
[FONT=Corbel] 30 days if you do not resolve this issue. To continue using Security Essentials, go online[/FONT]
[FONT=Corbel] to resolve and get Genuine Windows".[/FONT]
[FONT=Corbel]The little icon on bottom is green, when this box pops up the icon is yellow.[/FONT]
[FONT=Corbel]What I've been doing is click on it and then do a quick scan - it then immediately turns[/FONT]
[FONT=Corbel]green and I'm good to go for another couple days. Occasionally, the little icon is[/FONT]
[FONT=Corbel]very slow in showing up at all. [/FONT]

[FONT=Corbel]Could it be something with the installation process that wasn't completed, or ??[/FONT]

[FONT=Corbel]Thanks for any tips![/FONT]

Well, scratch that. Found some info (I always think of doing a Search after the fact :-/ )

I think I can help her with it - doesn't look like any major threat to shut her down as she
was worrying about.

Thx anyway!

The validation process REQUIRES the IE browser + ActiveX enabled + allow install from the Popup that occurs.
IF the system is Vista or Win/7, it should prompt for the Admin password else, perform this validation from an Admin Login.

Back