Windows Installer Corrupt Files- I NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I am not very advanced on a computer so if you could keep your reponses as simple as possible it would be much appreciated.

Whenever I try to download something it says I have a number of corrupt files. I need to be able to download new programs for work. I have had virus problems in the past, and I am not sure if this is just a lingering effect. Any help on how to download things without getting this error message would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

First make sure you dont still have any viruses on your system. second, if you are running XP then you can run System File Checker. put the xp disk in your drive open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow system file checker will examine windows system files and replace any damaged or missing files.

I know this may be a stupid question, but what is the xp disk, and a command prompt? As I said before, I am not very expirienced with computers. Thanks for the help though!

Ok, first are you running XP on your computer? secondly is this a store bought rig? some brands dont give you the XP disk instead they store the install files on a second partition on the hard drive. if yuor dont have an XP disk then you cant run System File Checker. unless you borrow and XP disk from a firend. to do that you need an XP disk that is the same as what you have ;ie either a XP pro or XP home whichever you have.

if it si a microsoft full version XP disc it will be holograhic looking and say Windows XP. or you may only have a disk that says "recovery". you cant use a recovery disk to run system file checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back