windows installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, I am new to this. I installed a critical windows update a few weeks ago and windows installer keeps coming up. It started me in at a log in page, and i screwed that up but was able to fix that but my system restore doesn't work, my add and remove programs are in letters now and I have no idea how to tell what programs they are. I can't shut off windows update as it is grey and won't let me shut it off. Please help

ok i must explain a bit more i think. i have no problems getting on to computer or using it, just that windows installer comes up and trying to install, i cancel and it goes away till next time. it happens on a few programs. windoes restore works but i can't go back to before the critical update and i can't stop windows update as it is grey and won't let me

Doing a Windows repair, would revert your OS to whatever version is on your Windows CD. Therefore, it would wipe out any Windows updates and hopefully get things working as normal again. After, you would need to run Windows updates again.

Regards Howard :)

i have windows xp pro and no cd. can i still fix this. i am scared to do anything cause i am not very good on the computer

Try disabling Automatic updates thus.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Automatic updates.

Close the services window. See if that helps.

it is still grey after i disable it. i went to control panel and it is still grey after i did what you said

Something`s seriously screwed up with your OS. Unfortunately, because you don`t have a Windows cd, I don`t think there much you can do to resolve your problems. Do you have a recovery disk or partition? If so, it may be wise to backup your important data and reinstall.

Regards Howard :(

i don't have a recovery disk and what is a partition. i just posted another question as windows installer starts up and wants a disk put in, does it for microsoft word or something. i never use that. i am sure i have a lot of stuff on here i don't need. thanks for the help

I just saw your other post and deleted it, as you already have this thread running.

Let`s see if we can get rid of the annoying installer.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back