Windows is Mysteriously Locking Folders

Phanixis

So I wanted to transfer my X-Com savegame files from my laptop to my desktop. This were located within the documents and settings folder. Which was locked for no bloody reason. And when I tried to restore permission, I got access denied there as well. I ultimately had to remove the users under the folder properties and add them back just to get Windows to do what it is supposed to do in the first place. I encountered the problem a second time with another folder within the My Documents and had to go about fixing it the same way.

What is the original cause of this problem? How do the folders get locked to begin with? Is it some unwanted feature of Windows, or is it caused by malicious software?

Thanks for the information.

First understand, I am using Win7, But it locks all folders until I give it permission all I have to do is tell it to though. and the permission is permanent.

HMM; Locked folders, or do you mean Permission Denied?

When a User is created, there's a prompt "make this data private" and that causes the <EVERYONE> id to not be installed in the users primary directory (%USERPROFILE%) and thus only SYSTEM, OWNER, Adminsitrators, and joeuser will have NTFS permissions.

When I need to, I use this sequence:
  • logon as Admin
  • cd to the USERS area (\users\)
  • right-click on joeuser directory name->Properties->Security Tab
From here you can see the USERS with their permissions.

I should be obvious that adding <everyone>, regardless of the specific permissions,
opens this data to all kinds of snooping and I advise NOT going there.

Instead,
  • create a groupname for users known on this pc
  • add users to this groupname
  • then add the permissions you need to the groupname.
Eg, <everyone> and guest should not be added to groupname :)

Click Add, enter the groupname and then set the permissions for it.

If your working on a removable device and that owner is not known to your PC,
  • take ownership and replace all perms
  • add back the original user and add full control
Admin will then have access to all data and the owner will too, without needing <everyone>

Back