Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated

Hi, Ive seen this topic a few times and from I can see it is a fairly common problem, however I havent yet found a topic that helps me as they mostly refer to rebooting from a recovery disk, I cant do this as the computer effected is just an Elonex webbook which doesnt have a cd drive

So whats happened is this;

The laptop installed some automatic updates and now wont restart properly, basically its running through what looks like a normal boot up and I get the Windows XP logo as normal, however then I get an error message, in full;

"An error has been encountered that prevents Set up from continuing

Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. To address this problem, please contact your computer manufacturer. Windows must now Shut Down.

Press OK to view the set up file."

The set up file simply shows exactly the same error.

Im not very technical but I did go into the F12 option I get at start up before Windows tries to launch, in here I tried all of the options, Restore Windows, Format C and restore Windows, Scandisk C and Reboot.

Nothing works as I still get the same error message when I try to restart the computer.

I have also used the F8 button to get into the bios settings (?) but the options in there were way over my head so I didnt change anything.

As you might gather by my feeble efforts so far Im not very technical minded so I havent a clue what to do next, I dont really just want to give up on the laptop as its a handy little tool so if theres anyone out there who can help me get this fixed Id really appreciate it.

Cheers
Mick

Hi, Ive seen this topic a few times and from I can see it is a fairly common problem, however I havent yet found a topic that helps me as they mostly refer to rebooting from a recovery disk, I cant do this as the computer effected is just an Elonex webbook which doesnt have a cd drive
I have also used the F8 button to get into the bios settings (?) but the options in there were way over my head so I didnt change anything.
Cheers
Mick
You were very smart to not change the BIOS because you didn't understand it. You may or may not realize that. I have some questions: Does the laptop in question have a USB port? Does the computer you're posting from have a USB port? Assuming you have XP, do you have an XP disc? Answer these. They will help me answer your question.

Hi, thanks for replying, its appreciated.

Anyway, yes the laptop has a USB port and so does the computer Im using to post.

I dont have the XP disc, I bought the laptop 2nd hand last year off Ebay and XP was running on it and it didnt come with any discs that I can remember.

However, the fault has changed somewhat.

I tried the F12 restore function again and used the option "Format C and restore Windows".

The last time I tried that it didnt have any effect and the error message remained on boot up, however this time it has taken me to a process of reloading Windows XP, only problem is Ive got to the enter product key section and I havent got the product key.

Im going to try and find the process for getting the product key off microsoft support tomorrow and hiopefully if I can get that and reinstall XP that way it might work.

Ill update here of course if it doesnt but fingers crossed !!

Good news you got something started. Look for a sticker on the side of the computer that has a key. Then enter it. Or maybe on the bottom for notebooks and netbooks.

Unfortunately it doesnt have any sticker with the product key so Im going to have to try and get another one from Microsoft, dont know what the process is for that,but Im sure theyll make a charge for it though !!

Ill let you know how I got on.

Cheers

Oh well, microsoft were even less helpful than expected, just fobbed me off initially with "get in touch with your manufacturer for the product key". I got in touch with Elonex who only keep records of the keys for a year apparently.

Back to microsoft who then said without a COA or proof of purchase they couldnt help me, I dont have either as it was bought off a guy on Ebay ages ago so they cant/wont help me.

So, looks like its destined for the bin !!

I think we can safely make this rule of thumb: Never buy off Ebay without asking questions. And if you don't know what to ask, better to not go that route. About the problem: you may have to buy a new XP copy.

Yeah, I hear what your saying but in fairness Ive had a year and a halfs use out of it and for the price I paid I cant complain too much, its just so annoying that its sat there and only needs a product key to get fixed .... but yes, next time I buy a laptop Ill make sure its got the COA sticker on it !!

Cheers anyway.

Back