Windows Keeps Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanka_safc

Hi,

Can someone please help me?

I have recently bought a new PC and set it up with Windows XP SP2. Whenever I leave my PC un-attended for about 60+ mins it freezes. The PC crashes and the only way I can turn it off it by holding down the power button. According to Device Manager all the drivers are installed correctly and I re-installed the Chipset Driver last night just to make sure but the problem is still happening. I am an IT Technician at The University Of Sunderland so I know what I am doing but I just cant figger this one out. Even after a full rebuild the exact same problem is happening. The only programs that are running when I leave my PC are my Sky Broadband and BitComet. May any of these be the problem? May the problem be fixed if I upgrade XP to Vista?

Thanks,
Colin

What windows version are you using and what make and wattage psu have you got. That info will be on the label on the psu itself.

Its definately Windows XP Service Pack 2. I am at work at the moment so will reply later on tonight with the exact Windows version and wattage on the psu.

On the back of my psu it says 230V and my windows version is 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.050301-1521 : Service Pack 2)

That's no good. I need to know the make and wattage of your psu. You will need to open your pc up for the label.

you need to go to administritive tools then event viewer , look in all three catogories (i forget what they are i have Vista now) one of them is security i think , look in particular for any red flagged items around the time of the crash , see if anything is causing it to crash , if you find anything double click it and post the resulting info here.

I dont think your psu is the cause generally underpowed psu's only crap out under high load

I may have just found out the problem. When I opened my case, one of the memory chips was only placed half in, one of the sides was not clicked down. Do you thionk that may have caused the problem?

My psu details are: FSP Group INC.
Model No: HH-350ATX (PF)
AC Input: 220-240v ~ , 4A,50Hz
Max DC Output: 350w

shanka_safc said:
I may have just found out the problem. When I opened my case, one of the memory chips was only placed half in, one of the sides was not clicked down. Do you thionk that may have caused the problem?

My psu details are: FSP Group INC.
Model No: HH-350ATX (PF)
AC Input: 220-240v ~ , 4A,50Hz
Max DC Output: 350w

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats very much for all of your replies but it looks as though it was the memory chip that was causing the problem. Its been on all day today and eveything has been fine. Thanks again.

Im glad you found the cause of your problem. I strongly suggest that you get a better psu as soon as possible as a precaution.

I think I have spoke too soon. My PC was running fine for about 6 hours this afternoon then all of a sudden it froze again. I turned it off and within 5 mins it froze again, then after after another reboot. Any more ideas other than the cpu?

I think I have spoke too soon. My PC was running fine for about 6 hours this afternoon then all of a sudden it froze again. I turned it off and within 5 mins it froze again, then after after another reboot. Any more ideas other than the cpu?

I have getting the Event Viewer sorted but my machine is still freezing. I have checked the psu and the waggage should be ok. Do you think it could be some other kind of Hardware fault? Could the memory be damaged someway or another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back