Windows Key or COA question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer a friend gave me. The hard drive was toast. I replaced it and the PC is running great. It has a windows COA sticker on it. The original restore disk are long gone. Does a way exist to legally reinstall windows on this pc using it's COA?

I left out, it's windows XP. I have two retail versions of XP Home edition. Both are currently installed on PCs. I didn't know if I could use those to install, but somehow use the COA from the other PC. I don't remember what XP version the "new" COA is for. It's on the stricker but I am not near that PC.

If the system is proprietary as in HP, Dell, Compaq etc. you can not use your Retail CD with an OEM product key.

Best is to see what the COA says, then we might be able to suggest steps to take.

A harddrive change or addition should still allow you to go through activation without having to call MS to get a new activation code, most important is to use an OEM version of the CD with the product key on the COA which is OK but not Retail CD that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back