Windows Live Mesh: 5 million devices, 2.2 petabytes synced

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has announced that Windows Live Mesh has been connected to more than 5 million devices. Furthermore, the company also revealed that over 3 million users have synced 2.2 petabytes to the cloud via the application.

Windows Live Mesh was released on September 30, 2010. It is the product part of Microsoft's consumer cloud strategy. The service, Windows Live SkyDrive, already has 70 million users. If you want to download Windows Live Mesh, you can grab it directly as part of Windows Live Essentials 2011.

Microsoft also took the opportunity to outline its consumer cloud strategy in three parts:

• Offering world-class email and chat services with Hotmail and Messenger that connect to services like Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and over 75 other websites around the world
  • Providing a great platform for others to build on, including Microsoft services like Xbox, Office, and Windows Phone 7
  • Connecting Windows to the cloud with Windows Live Essentials

"This marks an important moment in the steady transition to a world where people will use a blend of cloud services & PC-based apps together," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "As a company, we believe this trend will continue as people seek a personal balance in how they manage their data across multiple devices and services. This is in contrast to those who believe that it's a cloud-only world and that everything should and will live online. It's a simple idea, but our customers tell us they want a choice in what works best for them. We're excited to see our customers embrace this connectedness, around the world, and all for free."

Permalink to story.

I used the live mesh beta while i was in school. made life so much easier syncing all my school work from my laptop to desktop

I'm loving Mesh. It has definitely made my life easier. I sync my documents, downloads and pictures between two computers, and my documents with the cloud.

Back