Windows Live Messenger forgets / does not remember ID and password

Regarding the closed topic "vb/topic128612.html" (and 102970 also) in this forum, I have a solution that actually works.

Since your website is one of the first google results for many kinds of searches on this problem, I thought it would be good for the community to share it.

The problem has been discovered by Jonathan Kay, who has proposed an executable problem that solves it. However, like many people, I do not like running third-party programs, and moreover, I wanted to know how it actually solved the problem.

The answer has been proposed by Adam Johnson, but it is not easy to find using Google. The problem is originally caused by the bugged Yahoo Toolbar installer, which changes the registry key AppData under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft Windows\CurrentVersion\User Shell Folders] to "%AppData%". It should be set to "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" (without the quotes of course) instead.

The problem is then solved as soon as Explorer is restarted (the simplest way to do this is to restart the computer, but it also works to simply kill and then run explorer from the Windows process manager). Of Course, Messenger also has to be started again after that so it takes the new environment into account.

To the admin, please include this post in the closed topic, or at least link it there, because this would probably help many people solve this problem.

Back