TechSpot

Windows logo to get a Metro makeover in Windows 8

By Leeky
Feb 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As part of its planned redesigns for the upcoming Windows 8 operating system Microsoft looks set to completely change its legendary logo, according to pictures leaked by Chinese site CN…

Read the whole story

2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

I'm not sure about that new logo, the old one is very unique and recognizable even without the 'Windows 8' letters. Now the new one without any context can look like a box or a present, and the perspective is kind of off.

3. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 639   +127

This is a terrible move by Microsoft. Apple changing their logo to the monochromatic one of today wasn't such a big step. It still remained instantly recognisable and without thinking you could still instantly identify the brand on sight. The new Windows logo is just so bland and generic, at first glance the names of several local glaziers come to mind before Microsoft.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

Metro interface for desktops is such a drastic makeover for the worst, maybe a drastic makeover of the logo for the worst is appropriate.

5. well is it going to look more like this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.windowsblogitalia.com%2F2012%2F02%2Frivelata-la-lista-dei-giochi-presenti.html

6. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Don't do it! :'(

7. mario

8. Why do they even bother calling Windows 8 "windows" at all since everything in metro runs full screen and wont really let you have overlapping windows? Then again I guess windows 1.0 wouldn't let you either but at least you could have 3 or 4 applications open on the screen at the same time... Maybe Microsoft's next innovation in Windows 9 will be to revert everything back to the command line, immagine DOS integrated with the searching functionality of Vista/7! ugh.

9. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 135

Worst logo I've ever seen! :(

Looks pretty old school and dull to me.

10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +358

I like the change at first glance, and I agree it needs color in certain scenarios to make it recognizable. But as it's been shown time and time again, logo creation is not an exact science and only time will tell if it stands the test.

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

It's always been confusing to me, why they think they need to change the logo each time a OS comes out.

12. By comparing these to logos(pictured above) , windows 1.0 logo seems more attractive to me. windows 8 logo is just too bad.

13. not so bad with color : http://www.windowsblogitalia.com/2012/02/sara-questo-il-nuovo-logo-di-microsoft.html

14. Why not ditch the Windows franchise at this point ? Just call this OS "Microsoft Tiles 2012" or something like that.. Yes that's risky (brand recognition and everything else..) but what do you guys think ?

15. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Seems legit :)

16. who cares about the logo? marketing consultants?

17. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +749

I guess they're not happy with Google using the exact 4 colors in their logo.

18. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Considering the amount of money is at stake, I'd be willing to bet that MS hired someone to research this move and seems they gave it the green light.

Weren't we all just bitching about ASUS changing their logo or something?

19. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Why the disgusting green color everywhere? It's not even an environmental company, quite the opposite!

20. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,578   +47

It's not the most attractive logo...but then it's just a logo.

21. mario

@Julio a great logo must be simple, unique and instantly recognizable. That Windows 8 logo only has the simple part right.

22. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Looks terrible imo, hope they reconsider.

23. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

24. Crap, Pure Crap!

25. Microsoft and Google are just not refined enough; I'm pretty confident my new computer and mobile phone will be from Apple; I just wish they would add a simple but useful email service to complete my satisfaction, because even that is in the ditch.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.