TechSpot

Windows media player 99% cpu usage??? HELP

By Nick Lee
Mar 6, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (First I needed a new thread) Why is this happing? I never really did anthing for this to happen. I tried Anti-viruses scans, AD-AwareSE and other stuff. I would listen to 1 or 2 songs and then the player would just go up to 89 to 99 percent usage. It would take forever to change/stop songs. I have no I Idea what HiJackThis is or how to use it. Is there any other sugestions, because I have a FALL BACK plan and it is what it says ... FALL BACK ... reformatt xp. If you need any other Information just ask.

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

3. Nick Lee

Nick Lee TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 151

Two things WMP used to run about 7 - 22% cpu before. Second, I can't re-install it if i can't remove it as it is not in add/remove programs.

4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

5. ezminj

ezminj TS Rookie

Something I found on a separate forum that may apply... I was experiencing the same problem with WMP for a bit... it was using 70-99% CPU, regardless of whether I was running any other programs, stuttering, freezing, the "whole 9". I read on another post that a gent found a file that WMP wasn't able to read, but it was in his library, and upon deleting that the CPU returned to normal. I cleared out my library and ran a search for media (which is a pain, given I have around 40gb of just music,) and noticed that the search froze when trying to add a video file that hadn't completely downloaded. I deleted it, and !voila!... problem fixed. CPU Usage is back anywhere from 8-30% with no problems in the audio anymore. I posted the link to the other forum, but I thought this may help. I don't know if it would do the same with a corrupt audio file, but the video definitely seems to have an effect.

Here's the other post.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.