TechSpot

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not inst

By bex
Jul 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NVIDIA GEFORCE 4MX400
    REALTEK AC97 Audio
    MICRO-STAR INC. MS-6728
    Maxtor 6Y160P0
    512MB Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    Windows xp service pack 2
    Using Magix 2.0 to edit Panasonic camcorder tapes to DVD. For some reason I cannot capture via Magix so I capture via Windows Movie Maker and edit via Magix. Once I have burned the dvd via Magix my dvd player tells me it's a bad disc, my computer get the error message, Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer, when I try and play it.
    I have tried to play other DVD's and I get the same error message. I have re-installed windows media but still get the same message.
    I did have Nero installed but un-installed this thinking that it may be causing the problem.
    Installed the Windows xp video decoder and am told that the ligos MPEG video decoder impgvd.ax 4.0.0.104 is not compatible.
    I know nothing about decoders but have always used window medio before with no problems. I am happy to pay for software that will sort my driver/decoder problems out but would be greatful for some advise.
  2. nucleardreams

nucleardreams Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

3. bex

bex Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 29

K-lite codec pack

Hi There, thanks for your help, I have downloaded K-lite but appear to have another problem.
    I was using DVD shrink and it then I noticed that I had no cd rom, I checked the device manager and LITE-ON DVDRW LDW -851S was disabled, I uninstalled and it installed again but it was still disabled with an error message... A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
    Troubleshoot brings up a blank page...I am pulling my hair out, all I want to do is make a simple movie from my camcorder, never thought it would be this difficult!!!
  4. girish_5500

girish_5500 Newcomer, in training

5. jigixv783

jigixv783 Newcomer, in training

i need some herlp as well.. how do you use the k-lite codec pack? because i can't play movies on my media player and it needs that decorder thing..
  6. merv1013

merv1013 Newcomer, in training

Since I reinstalled the OS, XP-professional, I cannot play DVDs. I get the "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not inst" mesage! help!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.