TechSpot

Windows not loading, keeps restarting

By Kadaj_enix
May 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the computer i am running is a sony viao 1.7 ghz p4 256mb of sdram and an old asus vid card.

I try to load windows and when i get to the load bar screen it goes through two cycles then restarts. I try to run safe mode and it will not work. I put in my os disk which is xp, but its an old burned disk. and very scratched up to say the least. but while it says press any key to boot from disk, i do and it says checking hardware. 4 seconds pass and it restarts me again. I changed the ram to see if that was a prob, nope. power supply, arggh nope. I ask it very nicely to work, nope.

Maybe it is the disk, but i vaguely remember trying to put in my very old windows 98 and that didnt work, but for some reason the memory is very hazey so i could have just dreamed it or something.

i want to throw all my problems at someone else. fix it.

thanks
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,818   +163

Have you tried reseting the CMOS?
  3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Please give us the full configuration.
    256 MB of memory is simply not enough to run that computer with WXP and an ASUS video card... It may not be the main problem, but it will prevent you from finding it.
    Have you tested the hard drive. I would put it in an external enclosure on another system so you carn run a drive fitness test of the hard drive manufacturer.
    Then use a simple polishing system to clean up the CD WXP disk... because that is another likely cause in its current form. One way to test is to put the disc in another known good system with a burner, and see if it will copy... if it won't copy, it likely will not install either.
    While in the enclosure, setup the hard drive with a clean FAT format, then let Windows XP convert it to NTFS later.
    Unfortunately, SDRam is no longer cheap... in fact, it is among the most expensive of all memory modules... but you need it... The demands are too great, with the Service packs, the Windows updates that are pretty much mandatory now...
    In sum, likely causes: video graphics card, memory, hard drive, scratched install disk.
  4. Kadaj_enix

Kadaj_enix TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply you guys.
    I havent a clue what the cmos is, ive seen the word alot but I am rather saavvyish with computers so if you explained i can probably try resetting it, whatever it is.

and RayBay, you are right that 256 is too little, but its all i got right now so if it is the problem then i will have to just wait till i get a new stick. the card cant be checked at the moment because i do not have a pci card to plop in in exchange.\

my other harddrive hasnt been much better for me so i cant replace the current one with my old 40gb. seems i will have to try and clean my disk as much as possible and put that in. i may just use your idea and try to burn a copy, pretty smart idea but i also suffer from chronic laziness. thats my main problem.

nice to get a reply guys thanks.
  5. Tmagic650

First off Kadaj_enix,
    don't concern yourself with only having 256MB of RAM. XP will run fine with it, although it might be a bit slow... CMOS is reset by removing the little "button" battery from the motherboard. This battery is about the size of a nickle and it is silver in color. remove it for about 3 minutes, making sure that the power plug is pulled out of the power supply too. Reinstall the battery and boot the system
  6. Kadaj_enix

actually i got a old of an old windows xp pro disk, and it seemed i just had a virus that erased windows.exe, problem is i dont have a cd key... is windows xp pro cd specific with cd keys you guys?
  7. raybay

It won't hurt to try it. But a lot is involved.
    It often will not work if it is is one of certain OEM versions, or if it is an Academic or Upgrade version.
    If you are trying to fix a XP Home with an XP Pro, that will not work.
    Usually when you run a disc of the same type as what has been installed, it will run the R for Repair mode.
    If not right, it will stop before any harm is done.
    Usually are repair mode fix will not require the product ID... depends on the version
  8. Kadaj_enix

Actually, the thing is, i was just reformatting completely, and starting anew so i could just have a fresh start on the comp. I put in the real windows xp pro disk and i clicked install. went through the process and then said put in cd key. i had an old burned cd with the cd key, same version of windows. i tried to use that cd key but it did not work. i am going to try a few cd keys i found online but my hope is dwindling. my question was in specific, does windows xp pro genuine disk have a specific cd key, the one that it is supposed to come with is the only one that will work?an i put in a different cd key of the same version of windows and have it work, NOT worrying about internet connectivity issues. i just want the computer to work really. thanks.
  9. raybay

There are in excess of 31 types of product keys. Look at all the other information on the certificate of authenticity. Windows XP Pro has a different product key for every certificate title, every Barcode and every certificate number on the Certificate of Authenticity. These include such parts formatted as X06-21567, 09D0224, 00019-051-256-534, as well as the title, and the manufacturer. Then you still need the "key" to each product key.
    You may get lucky, but most smart people have not figgered out how to crack the code. Some berry smart people who know algorithms, using computers, have not been able to break very many.
    You need to know the key that goes with each certificate that then corresponds to the CD or DVD.
    Either borrow somebody's certificate and disk for the purpose of the repair, or cave in an pay the minimum. Lowest price I have seen for WXPH is $64. Lowest price for WXPP is $124
  10. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,423   +7

Windows Update

There is a fix for this problem there.
  11. Kadaj_enix

hmmm, well thank you guys, ill try my luck and respond if i need more help. and zipperman, if their is a fix then hurry up and say it.

12. zipperman

I said it

You have to do your own searching for your OS.
    I misplaced the link i had.Sorry but there is a fix.
  13. Kadaj_enix

Can you explain this fix though? what your talking about? what will this fix do and how would i use it?

is their a bit torrent with a cracked version of windows xp i could download? well thanks guys.
  14. Tmagic650

This is called "software piracy"... Techspot does not allow this kind of information. Be careful, they will close down this thread
  15. zipperman

This is a Microsoft Fix

==================

It will stop Not loading,keeps restarting.You'll have to search with an OS
    that needs it i guess.I'm still trying to find it on My Computer links.
    Use it by installing it.Obvious choice.or Contact Microsoft.
  16. nasaaa

nasaaa TS Rookie

startup

press f8 and goto save mode and see what is the prablem and repair it
  17. zipperman

My MSoft directions

Press F8 then F5.
    Sometimes the keys need more then just 1 press.Keep tapping them.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.