TechSpot

Windows on ARM: desktop mode confirmed, sans legacy apps

By Leeky
Feb 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has described in detail their Windows on ARM architecture in a bid to clear up confusion regarding the upcoming Windows 8 release. The exhaustive post by Steven Sinofsky on…

Read the whole story

2. Windows 8 with ARM was exciting, but at least it is a great begining.

3. I can see WOA being useful in businesses.
    Custom applications on lower price, longer battery life tablets with a real OS (Windows).

4. fraggleki

fraggleki TS Rookie Posts: 17

Windows 8 on a iPhone , is it possible? They have ARM Processors Correct?

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

You mean ARM architecture? Having an ARM-based SoC is not the only requirement to make all ARM-compatible (but <i>not</i> cross-platform) operating systems work on other unintended devices. That's not to say it's impossible (as you can see on the picture above) but it requires a large amount of engineering. Even then, it wouldn't be usable (poor battery life, waste of screen real state, imprecise point input, etc.).

Even if it was possible, however, the only one that would be portable would be Windows Phone 8, which is going to be based on the same Windows 8 kernel and WinRT. I am pretty sure Windows 8 doesn't support low resolutions; that's the area they are trying to tackle with WP8.

6. OH great!

I can now see .. people asking me .. how come I can't install X program or run Y program.?

but the computer was cheap!

7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I think it's very unrealisitc to think that a program that can run on a regular x86/64 machine, will also run on a ARM-based mobile device.

People don't expect to port their programs from their Macs to their iDevices. I think Microsoft shouldn't be punished just because they also happen to do the same. (The mentality I'm seeing recently is that because they <i>are</i> late, they should have engineered a powerful, power efficient, mobile OS that can do the same as its desktop counterpart. The thing is, those characteristics go against the very reasoning Microsoft used to decide to make the user experience a priority. Emulated x86/64 software on ARM devices are "weak" [due to emulation], and most certainly power inefficient.)

Alternatively, Microsoft said they were going to be very clear when selling/advertising Windows 8 about the fundamental distinctions between the desktop Windows 8, and the ARM.

8. supyo

supyo TS Rookie Posts: 42

my god that ribbon interface is ugly. Takes up a quarter of your screen for what? copying & pasting? Windows 8 looks like a mess, trying to appease everyone will not work out well.

9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Will give "Windows Phone" a whole new meaning. This is exciting. :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.