TechSpot

Windows on Mac, Mac OS not on PC?

By cfitzarl
Feb 17, 2007
  1. I still, to this day, wonder how PC users can't use the Mac OS; especially since Apple is now using Intel Chips for pretty much (if not) all of their products. How can you put an X86-Compatible OS on a Mac, yet you can't put a ### (whatever mac is ;) ) on a pc?

2. maniacgeorge

maniacgeorge TS Rookie Posts: 34

i think you can-if you know how...

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

There's more to a computer than a handful of chips..

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,652   +323

Apple makes their money selling their computers not their OS (not counting iPods). So that is a big reason they don't allow it to run on regular boxes that lots of people have Windows on. There also is no protection on the OS no 'activation' or serial number...

1 person likes this.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Also, it would be an impossible task to make OS X run with Apple reliability on all (or even most of) the PC hardware out there.

6. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

Okay, thank you :wave: ! I think I stand for a lot of people (I know) when I say that I was confused :suspiciou !

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Mac Hacks Allow OS X on PCs
    http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,68501,00.html

Of course, such a thing is certainly against Apple's wishes and probably protected against in the EULA, which makes this 'underground' stuff. ;)

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

And if after all of this it still isn't clear enough - the reason a lot of people can't/don't do it is because your buddies at Apple don't want it to happen.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.